Size Question!?!

Re: Size Question!?!

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:01 am

Oanatolitis2 wrote:
Bushviper wrote:Does this snake actually have a permit or is it an illegal specimen?

Dunno if it's Gauteng or whatever. You need permits in Europe?

Sorry my apologies. I opened the wrong profile and assumed you lived in Gauteng. Nope they do not require permits in Europe. It does look like a Zululand specimen and they are known to grow larger than the ones in Gauteng.

It is just almost unheard of to have a male grow to that size in such a short period of time. Please post a picture of the underside of the tail and we should be able to clear that up.

Sorry again for the silly assumption. Could you please put your location in your profile. That is why we provide for it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Oanatolitis2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:29 am

Oanatolitis2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Oanatolitis2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 am

Bushviper wrote:
Sorry my apologies. I opened the wrong profile and assumed you lived in Gauteng. Nope they do not require permits in Europe. It does look like a Zululand specimen and they are known to grow larger than the ones in Gauteng.

Was about to say... They had me get an import i.d for sebae and reticulatus in the past

Bushviper wrote:It is just almost unheard of to have a male grow to that size in such a short period of time. Please post a picture of the underside of the tail and we should be able to clear that up.

Sorry again for the silly assumption. Could you please put your location in your profile. That is why we provide for it.

It's ok about the assumption, you only trying to do what's right. Appreciate that.
As for the BHS, i also wanna clear it up, esp. since i had him probed in front of me, and from what i read it Is unusual. I'm worried firstly about his health.
And honestly don't care if he turns female, it would just be weird... And the breeder very sneaky

Thanks again
Harrison
Oanatolitis2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:02 pm

That still looks like a female to me. When you get a chance either photograph or scan the snakes tail and count the sub-caudal scales. 56 to 68 scales will indicate a male and 45 to 55 will indicate a female. You can also wait till it sheds and then use the shedded skin as that is the easiest to scan, enlarge and count these scales.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)