release or not

release or not

Postby jesica » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 am

my friend has a brown house snake which he got from a friend, he said the friend caught in at his house
i would like to now, is it wise to release it back in the wild or what?
jesica
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: release or not

Postby F1refly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Depends on what province you are in. If you are in KZN I wouldn't worry but any other province I would unless he has had the snake for a few years now.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jesica » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Gauteng, westrand
don't now how long he has it, might be a year
jesica
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby atropos » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

If he has had it that long it could potentially do more harm by releasing it back in the wild. Pathogens tend to express themselves in captivity which could be introduced to wild populations if released. Permit issues may be the next problem but I'm not clued up on Gauteng legislation in this regard.
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Wild caught snakes should be released back into the wild, regardless of law and regulation. It's just a matter of looking after the environment and not putting your other snakes at risk (mites, worms, infections and what not). You can pick up captive bred house snakes for good prices just about anywhere.
The user Kfc here on the forum can help you out if you're looking for brown house snakes- he has some good looking specimens
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 pm

I agree with you Herald. Unfortunately in this case too much time may have passed and these parasites could be passed on to wild populations.
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:58 pm

If you want legal bhs with all their paperwork send me a PM.

You need permits to keep indigenous species in gauteng. Find out where it was caught and try to release it to that locality.

He is braking the law by keeping it, I have legal ones and breed most of the morphs.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, Atropos.
All pathogens need is warmth, moisture and a food source, all found in a vivarium or cage, and they can become weird, wonderful and a huge problem
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 am

Exactly. And sometimes dormant pathogens, acquired in the wild, will manifest under these conditions. Kfc223, I appreciate your sentiments but unfortunately releasing this animal back into the wild after so much time has elapsed is probably not the answer as it could very easily do more harm than good.

Handing the snake over to the relevant authority is probably the only option.
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 am

Releasing the snake at this stage is not going to do the snake or the species a favour. Rather hand it over to the relevant authorities or drop it off at a zoo or snake park.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)