Brown House Snake eggs

Brown House Snake eggs

Postby Dragon Breeder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:25 pm

heyyy folks

my female housie is laying me some pressies (yay)

so far from what i can see there is only 1 white egg... the rest are a wierd browny/grey colour - is this remotely normal - im going to incubate them away from each othert to stop any mould growing - but can the browny/grey ones be fertile?

any help appreciated

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:29 pm

Brownish grey? that doesn't sound too good. I think keeping them seperated from the white one is a very good idea.
It is still hard to tell without actually seeing the eggs, maybe you can post some pics, if that is possible.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby slangman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 pm

your white egg is the fertile 1 and unfortunately the rest sound like they r slugs mate :(
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:43 pm

Congrats know how long you've been waithing for this. If their might be a slim chance of the eggs hatching incubate them you know about me throwing mine away, Im still angry about that when I think back. Some pic's would be nice of the eggs, mom and maybe dad. Any news on the Stripped House Snake. Again congrats you must be really excited.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 pm

hey - yea im keeping the white one well away from the others just to be on the safe side however on closer inspection its actually creamy to yellow in colour - it is the largest and fullest of the eggs and the only 1 i hold hope for

i removed the 10 eggs for incubation earlier the darker ones are all very soft and one split in my hands and smelled rancid - they are most likely infertile slugs

i palpitated (spelling?) the mother and i can feel 4 more eggs so one or 4 may still be fertile - she is back in her lay box now so fingers crossed/ thumbs held :P

unfortunately my camera refuses to connect to my computer for some reason so i cannot post photos of them - sorry - will be trying desperately to get them on here tonight though

the father is unknown to me (im sure kizzie & nyoka may have mated a while back) so these could be the results of sperm storage & possibly the sperm went bad - past the sell-by-date :P

so in another month or 2 i'll introduce my male to her and try again - they just got vitamin supplements in at work specifically for snakes so im going to be using those for her and feeding her some nice small rats to get her strength back up

jka - yes i have a little news - she is definately for sale and im definately getting her - when you may ask... - nobody knows the guy only goes to the shop once a week so i gotta wait untill the weekend to see

thanks for the advice folks

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:14 pm

excellent news - my camera just pulled through out of the blue

im eggstatic (OMG SO BAD!)

jka expect anoither couple of videos in a couple of hours - if i can find them lol

woo will post some piccys shortly

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:43 pm

hey

"good" egg it has a big black spot now..... i assume thats a bad thing?

bad eggs

they smell quite bad actually

and on a lighter note my 5 water dragon eggs =]

(well i thought since i was posting egg pictures i might aswel...)

defo slugs ya think?

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:22 am

Yip, those eggs are definitely not viable. Make some omelettes ;)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby jka » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:16 am

Thanks for the info about the videos will have a look at them. I think the brown eggs are all slugs like froot said.Does she still have some eggs that she need to lay or is that the whole lot?
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:08 pm

froot - smelling like that - i dont even think a rat would eat them

she layed another this morning - again void and as far as i can tell theres 4 more to go
which gives me a grand total of 17 eggs so far 12 void ones - great start eh?
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)