Re: Best gift ever

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

What nice snakes!
Love the fourth picture.
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby D@RRYL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi carla , oh and congrats on your new additions . I found that the painted tree frog works very well on senting process, geckos do work but i have had much success on using tree frog for senting my pinks. I have set up an exo terra tank for the frogs when i did need them so i didi not kill any frogs, and they make nice display tanks aswell.

Good luck
The bible says we have been given the power to tred apon serpants and scorpion. Please watch your step....
D@RRYL
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 am

My one baby whitelip ate! Whopeeee! :-D
Last night I offered him a pink and unlike other nights he was very agro and striked multiple times at the pink. Then after striking again he held on and started swallowing! He got the head in and...my dog came running into the room disturbing the snake and he regurgitated the pink :shock: Luckly he still had interest in the pink and after sniffing him form head to tail he started again, I almost was to scared to breath so I sat dead still until the pink was in.
:-D So I'm a very happy mommy! Now I just have to wait for the other baby to shed and then we will try again
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby komodoking » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 am

Congrats Carla - that is good news.
komodoking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 am

Awesome! That is great news!

Some more details please!

Was the pinkie alive or thawed?

Was the snake in it's cage, or did you remove it to feed?

Did you offer the mouse with tweezers directly to the snake, or just place the mouse nearby?

Was the mouse scented? If so, how?

Thanks Carla!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:58 am

Well done Carla. Sounds like you are having lots of fun with the new babies and they are so good looking! How’s the Amazon doing?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am

@ Smeegle
I moved the snake into a cricket tub with a little branch with the pink on bottom but nothing happned :smt015 . So I placed him in a 5l ice cream tub and a few times he got out so thats why I sat on the floor so he wont fall and get hurt...Must say its a bit stressing when a whitelip gets out and makes a dash for it and as he is going so fast I struggled to get him on the hook :shock: ... Okay so I first wegged one of the pink's feet between split ends of a 30cm stick and tapped the snake with the pink but when the pink came off I used tweazers... (need to get longer tweezers!!!) and he kept striking until he grabbed it.
The pink was f/t and not scented at all, I just made sure he was warm by defrosting him in hot water just before feeding
But I must add he was very agro last night and striked multiple times before actually eating. Lots of time he go a tooth stuck the pink.
But it was amazing, saw his little fangs as he wedged the pink in.

@michael
The amazon eats like a pig! He ate 2 rat pups on sunday, it's interesting how he grabs the pup in the air and almost roll up like a yo-yo to constrict :lol: .
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Ooh, this is all beginning to sound better and better! I like the fact that the mouse was of the unscented, f/t type, that is definitely first prize!

Thanks for the info, and well done, it seems like you have a real knack for keeping snakes. :D

Please keep us updated with any new developments...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:48 pm

I rather think lots of persistence and even more luck!
Will keep you posted on when the other one sheds so he can eat
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Carla without trying to sound pompous I hope you do come of the next husbandry course so that I can teach you a bit how to work with these little venomous snakes. If you make a mistake it will hurt.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 am

I would love to go...only problem is work and time. How long is this courses?

I'm joing out herp assosiation in this area, we have our first meeting this Saturday.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

Just an update...

The whitelip that ate the mouse pink also ate a rat pink! I just placed the live pup with the snake in a small container and 1 hour later he was gone with a very happy and fat snake left.
The other baby whitelip have stil not eaten :( I have tried the method used with his sister but nothing yet, even left 2 live mouse pinks with him but nothing. Will try by scenting them with either lizzard or frog tonight.
There is already a big difference between their sizes :-? .
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:10 pm

CarlaSmit87 wrote:Just an update...

The whitelip that ate the mouse pink also ate a rat pink! I just placed the live pup with the snake in a small container and 1 hour later he was gone with a very happy and fat snake left.
The other baby whitelip have stil not eaten :( I have tried the method used with his sister but nothing yet, even left 2 live mouse pinks with him but nothing. Will try by scenting them with either lizzard or frog tonight.
There is already a big difference between their sizes :-? .

C'mon, Carla!

- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 am

Bwhahaha! Thanks Smeegle!

Well good news, I got my baby to eat a gecko.
I was getting quite worried because he was so thin! So after some help from Leon and Graeme (thanks guys!)
I "brained" a gecko and left it overnigt, this morning it was gone! First want to get him to fatten up a bit then I will try again with the pinks.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Carla
Glad to hear your white lips are eating. Just a word of advice, if you have to feed geckos rather freeze them first for about a week. This will help destroy any parasites they are harbouring. Another thing you can try is tease feeding with pink mouse parts. Try using a back leg or head once the snake grabs the food they will often swallow. Just be careful when tease feeding and make sure your tweezers is long enough as they can strike pretty far. Good luck and post a picture of your setup if you can.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

PreviousNext

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)