WLT Viper sick, or just shedding?

WLT Viper sick, or just shedding?

Postby Dark-Flame » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Good day all,

I would like to ask that, if a WL Tree Viper is lying curled up, with verry yellow eves, in the bottom of the enclosure, if it may perhaps be sick, or about to shed?

The reason I asked is that I have been in and out of hospital since we bought it in Jan and missed the 1st shedding. It is now about 15-20cm and shedded about a month ago.

Currently I am back in hospital, and the above description is what my wife gave me over the phone this morning. Only having a phone for internet access has made getting the answers quite difficult, as you can imagine.

I have kept various reptiles in the past, and currently house x2 Red-rump and x2 curly-hair tarantulas, that I have raised since they were slings, however, this is my 1st WLT Viper.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated with regards to my above question, and I will supply any additional info that you may need.

Kind regards,
-Bill-
Dark-Flame
SA Reptiles Member

Re: WLT Viper sick, or just shedding?

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 pm

From own experience if a whitelip is lying on the floor of its enclosure the humidity is way to low.
Get the temps and humidity right and the snake will be fine.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes increase the humidty and it should be fine depending on whether it is still feeding or not.

Possibly you should think about passing it on to a friend or selling it and replacing it at a later stage. Some wives will be real troopers but personally I think she has enough to worry about without having to contend with a potentially lethal snake she does not know very much about while you are in hospital.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Dark-Flame » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Thank you for the advice, much apreciated. Fortunately, my elder brother also spent many years around reptiles and such, and I will ask him to assist me in this the.

Will keep you posted on the developments.

Thanx again!
Regards
-Bill-
Dark-Flame
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)