Humidity

Humidity

Postby lampie » Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi , I'm struggling with keeping the humidity abofe 60% .I got her on 28th April and I had now trouble on keeping the humidity at 80 -90% until now.Is it because of the winter thats coming that the cage doesn't keep the humidity :?: And is it fine for now in the winter that the humidity drop to 40-50% :?: Do whitelips hybernate :?:
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Humidity

Postby michael » Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Is researching your "pets" before you get them just not important anymore? I hope you put a lot more effort into researching the what could happen in the event of a bite!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpent » Mon May 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Eish.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qwerty » Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Just mist the inside of the cage once every two days. White lips will be fine with a humidity of 40-50% between mistings.
Qwerty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

You have a whitelipped tree viper?.....
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Ok in hindsight, I was to harsh in my response but there has been so much written about keeping white lips and how to keep humidity at the correct levels. Anyway use a substrate that retains moisture, you can put a heating pad under a water bowl in the cage too. Daily misting with luke warm water will also do the trick. They do not really have any hibernation period.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby lampie » Tue May 22, 2012 3:30 pm

I'f done a snake handling course on 28 April this year at Mike Perry.I also got her on 28 April.I know what will happen if she bites me.I could not find anything about hybernation,the rest I found except about humidity changing in the winter.

She is in a 400mm long, 800mm high, 400mm wide homemade perspex cage.I have a lot of sticks ,fake leafs inside with a heatpad and a ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer.And small jungle bark chunks as substrate.I spray her every 1-2 days with luke warm water. I spent over a month researching whitelips and planning the cage and stuff.
Ball python female
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Wed May 23, 2012 10:07 am

Hello Lampie

When you say you have her in a home made perspex cage I don't know if you meant you made a perspex "fish tank" or a "exo terra" type. Lets assume you made a fish tank type with a screen.

1stly "fish tanks" are known not to hold humidity well and much of what you try to achieve is lost due to the construction.

Next Heat Emitters/Basking Lights/Infra Red Lights are great for animals that need desert type environment, but counteracts the tropical environment. The main reason for this is that it heats the surrounding air and therefore removing the moisture.

I would suggest that you remove the light/emitter and look at an enclosure that is built for your snake and the environment you need.

On a personal note. Can we stop attacking people who need help and rather assist them. He obviously knows he made a mistake and came onto the site for help. We are not helping or teaching people by making them feel inferior. Please can we end these kind of assistance as it doesn't help him or anybody else reading a thread. I for one learned so much from people willing to help rather than having them show me how little I knew.
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wimpievanzyl » Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Agree with you on that Seaborne! Lampie if you don`t find anything on the forum go check on youtube for videos sure you will find something that could help!
wimpievanzyl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Sat May 26, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks Seaborne for the help.The guy I bought her from also had a emitter in and he said it works perfect for keeping the humidity and heat.So at the sos reptile expo I bought 1 from animal kingdom and the guy also said it works well. :smt011 :smt021
Ball python female
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)