Finding Ox heart

Finding Ox heart

Postby Qwerty » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 pm

My female White lip gave birth to 22 babies about three weeks ago and I've been told that feeding the babies Ox heart or chicken heart works really well. What I want to know is where does one find Ox heart or chicken heart as I can only seem to find Ox liver and chicken liver.
Qwerty
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Finding Ox heart

Postby cascade » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Your local butcher should be able to supply for you.
Or a slaughter house.
Same goes for the chicken heart.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Just feed them pinky heads...
They grow like monsters. Ive raised many whitelip neonates on pinky heads.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qwerty » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I've been feeding them pinky heads but I'm struggling to find enough day old pinks for 22 babies and the rest of the pink goes to waste. Ox heart cut into strips can last for quite a few feedings making it more convenient and a lot less gorey.
Qwerty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 pm

I usually get chicken hearts at the spar for my dogs, I only see ox heart at the butcher in the "poorer" part of town...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

HI there
Where are you based? I see Johannesburg but East West North or South? I go to my local fruit and veg city/food lover's market and find packets of chicken hearts in the fridges near the chicken livers and other offal. I'm talking Edenvale but if one of the franchises keep them then I'm sure the others do as well. I buy about 20 packets at a time and freeze them and defrost for my boscs when I need to.

If you are willing to freeze them in bulk I am sure your local supermarket or butcher will order them specially if you ask. They are cheap so buying in bulk is not a huge expense. They are usually packed in around 500 gram packs at approximately R8-R11 a pack, so very reasonable in price which is what you need with 22 hungry mouths to feed!! My boscs will happily eat about 12 hearts each at each meal so a pack can last for up to 2 meals for my hungry babies.

Let us know how you get on.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm

One question, will the babies switch to mice when they are a little bigger. If they have been started on beef heart, or will it be difficult to get them on rodents afterwards?
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qwerty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks Marion, found some chicken hearts at the food lovers market in Hillfox.
Qwerty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:23 pm

I only saw your post now but in the future just ask your local petshop for frozen ox heart. It's a common food for tropical fish.

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J_Bay » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:36 pm

If you haven't already, go down to a big butchery in your area and ask them for it. I used to keep Oscars when I stayed in JHB, and at 3.2KG's my biggest Red Tiger would only eat ox heart, or small fish. Small fish where just an expensive treat but the ox heart was cheap, just a little bit of a pain cleaning out all the fatty parts. Maybe the oxen my hearts came from had cholesterol problems...
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 am

I get straight from the abattoir in the west - still warm when I pick it up... very fresh.
1 heart is a lot of meat so prep it and then freeze it otherwise it is a mission to cut pieces off when you need it.
Once they get a bit bigger start switching over to pinkie parts some may not switch over as easy as others but they all do eventually.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ExoticReptiles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:53 am

I also had a few baby white lips, born on the 5th of december, and thanks to this post I knew what to feed them. I tried to get ox heart but I couldn't find and then when doing our shopping at President Hyper I came accross chicken hearts so I got a bag.
Now I would like to know if anyone on here has any advise on getting them to feed as I am battling. I cut the heart in small strips and use tweezers and try to get them to strike at it and then keep still and hope that they swallow, but as yet I have only managed to get one of them to actually eat. Most on them don't even strike at the food they only try to get away, and the one that do strike keep it in their mouths for a bit and then spit it out.
Please any help will be appreciated.
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.8 White Lip Tree Vipers
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 am

You will have to assist feed them, pin them gently and place part of the heart into their mouth once in let go and they should eat it.
You will have to push slightly on the mouth to get them to bite/open their mouth.
I find it easier to pin them down directly onto a table surface, that way you don't have to put them down after you get the food in.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ExoticReptiles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks Brad I will try this tonight with them, I am just starting to get worried as it is now a month since they were born and only one has eaten so far
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.8 White Lip Tree Vipers
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am

Let me know if you need a hand or for me to show you - no problem for me to pop over and show you.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)