White Lip Shedding Problems

White Lip Shedding Problems

Postby DeanKoupe » Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 am

Hi guys

I have a baby male White Lip, he started shedding over the weekend, but has only managed to pull the skin off just behind his eyes, he has shed perfectly in the past, I have sprayed him to try help, but the skin still isn't managing to pull the skin off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dean
DeanKoupe
SA Reptiles Member

Re: White Lip Shedding Problems

Postby Whitelipp » Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 am

Your humidity is not correct in the first place.
What is your setup like?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Your snake is dehydrated, as Whitelipp says, you humidity is out.

Neonates tree vipers do better in small tubs with heating, a perch and a substrate that retains water like coco-nut husk or mulch. I would soak that snake in 1cm of luke warm water for 30 minutes, most of the skin should come off, if not the snake will get it off on the next shed. Make sure that the tub is kept humid enough, but not too humid, you can reduce the humidity when its older. Mist the tubs sides at least twice a week as they suck on the water droplets

Good luck.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 am

Yes Serpent is right. If you have condensation forming on the tank then you humidity is right and your snake can drink.
My whitelips refused to drink from water bowls. Only from themselves, off leaves and off the enclosure walls.
Get a substrate that will retain some moisture to aid in humidity.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DeanKoupe » Thu May 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Hey guys

Just an update :

I soaked the snake in warm water for 30 minutes yesterday, the skin still hasn't come off.
I put a thermo-hygrometer in, the reading at the moment is 21.6 degrees celsius and 99% humidity.

Anymore suggestions?
DeanKoupe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachesis » Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 pm

DeanKoupe wrote:Hey guys

Just an update :

I soaked the snake in warm water for 30 minutes yesterday, the skin still hasn't come off.
I put a thermo-hygrometer in, the reading at the moment is 21.6 degrees celsius and 99% humidity.

Anymore suggestions?

Is that the temperature you keep them at all the time? If it is, i would at least raise it to a minimum of 25 during the day.

When you soaked him, did you put him in a container with a lid on or off? (With a few small holes).

Depending on how quickly your enclosures dry out, i personally would spray twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, every other day.

Sounds like you are going to have to get your hands dirty, and get the shed off. Soak him again in warm water first. Are you comfortable pinning the snake? You can try and hold the edge of the shed once moistened, with tweezers (longer enough ones so that he can't bite you..obviously), and he should try to move out of it.
Lachesis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Lachesis wrote:
DeanKoupe wrote:Hey guys

Just an update :

Anymore suggestions?

Is that the temperature you keep them at all the time? If it is, i would at least raise it to a minimum of 25 during the day.

When you soaked him, did you put him in a container with a lid on or off? (With a few small holes).

Depending on how quickly your enclosures dry out, i personally would spray twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, every other day.

Sounds like you are going to have to get your hands dirty, and get the shed off. Soak him again in warm water first. Are you comfortable pinning the snake? You can try and hold the edge of the shed once moistened, with tweezers (longer enough ones so that he can't bite you..obviously), and he should try to move out of it.

If the substate is kept moist, it produces condensation on the sides and lid of the tub, misting twice a week is plenty just to top up. Over misting can cause RI's. If you feel you are competent enough to remove the old skin then do so, but be careful not to hurt the snake, do it on a towel or sponge so as not to hurt the snake. I would keep soaking it rather, twice a week, it can only do the little guy good, it should start flaking, if not he will get it off on his next shed.

Your set up does not sound right bud. Your tubs should be min 28 deg and max 32 deg on the hot side and 20-25 on the cold side. My neonates are kept in 10l tubs, 5cm of moist substrate, and some branches or plastic mesh to perch on.

Is the little guy eating?
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)