snouting around

snouting around

Postby mamba1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am

With call outs becoming few and far between with winter setting in, the usual haul of rinkhals by the kilogram was of no surprise to me over the this last season. However, the last three call outs produced three snouted cobras..... Even though I had never personally seen, let alone captured a snouted cobra in Jhb over the years, the first two were captured in Lanseria which wasn't too unusual. The last specimen however was a decent sized specimen (1.5m) that I removed from house yesterday in Fourways Gardens. So I would like to know if anyone else has recorded this species in or near the Fourways area in the past?
Mambas and cobras and white lip tree vipers.... Boas and boomslang and all of the pythons...... Twig snakes and sea snakes and a puff adders skin...... These are a few of my favourite things.
mamba1
SA Reptiles Member

Re: snouting around

Postby froot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:32 pm

I got a call about a snake in a pool pump box in fourways area, was told it was a spitter. Weather that's an accurate ID I can't be sure.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby mamba1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:46 pm

This snake was also in a pool pump box, trying its best to keep warm I suppose. I havnt caught any cobras of any kind in Jhb before now, and I'm interested to see if any others turn up!!!
Mambas and cobras and white lip tree vipers.... Boas and boomslang and all of the pythons...... Twig snakes and sea snakes and a puff adders skin...... These are a few of my favourite things.
mamba1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:14 pm

10 years ago there were not even Spitters in JHB area and now they are pretty common. Boomslang have also moved along the rivers towards Fourways and Snouted cobras in Lanseria is not that unusual as they are migrating from Erasmia area.

Global warming is not an illusion and the past two years have blessed us with pretty mild winters. The planting of more trees and bushes in areas that have traditionally been open grassveld has allowed these snakes to hide and move out of the areas they used to occur in. Go look at the untouched area next to the N1 highway and you will see that no trees or bushes used to occur there. Now it looks like bushveld.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mamba1 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am

True, I have heard about spitters and boomslang being found in Jhb, I have just personally never found one or been called out to remove one...... The closest that I have found spitters and boomslang would be in Pta. Could have said the same about snouties until recently, although a friend of mine had responded to call out in Diepsloot some 8 years ago which turned out to be a large snoutie playing tag with some of the resident dogs.......
mamba1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hennie » Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm

I rescued a small Snouty this week Monday 21 May 2012 in Lanseria and they told me about a large Boomslang residing on their property as well.
Hennie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)