Call out 2013-02-27

Call out 2013-02-27

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Had a call out referral from Bushbaby last week. Caught this 1.5m beautiful Snouted Cobra (Naja annulifera) in the parking area of Steve Biko hospital in Pretoria. Think it hitced a ride with some patient living on a plot or farm and decided to disembark at the hospital. It was wedged into an open space of a 90 degree angle in the wall amongst some ivy vines. Has the personality of some sadistic exorcist character but I love him even though he wants me dead. Irony of it, should I get bit then and there I just had to walk about 20m to the emergency entrance. Speaking of which, he plays dead better than any Rinkhals (Hemachatus haemachatus) I've had ever kept or seen.

No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Call out 2013-02-27

Postby Davidc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:40 am

Nice.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:47 pm

On my way home from my granny in Pretoria North, my trip was interrupted by someone at an intersection uttering the word "rinkhals". Pulled over, ran across the street and found a 1.3m male Snouted Cobra slithering towards a house on the corner. Grabbed it as there had been a gathering of many people and children getting way too close. Unfortunatley, it was evidently run over by a car as it's intestines were spilling out of it's side so I reluctantly had to decapitate it. That sucked! 2nd Snoutie in one week, not too bad.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Shamrock » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Caught a nice banded one last night, estimate it is +- 1.5m. I catch quite a few of them but have never seen one that was this psycho! He would actually chase me for about 2-3 meters before he would try to get away again, instead of the mock charge I normally get with the snouties. Once on the hook, he coiled around the hook stick and started biting it.

Sorry about the poor quality photos my DSLR's battery was dead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't worry, its completely tame . . .
Shamrock
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)