Acquiring a Cape Cobra-Eastern Cape

Acquiring a Cape Cobra-Eastern Cape

Postby Local-lover » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:44 am

Good day all,
Please excuse any mistakes as I am a first time poster :D
I currently have a White Lipped Tree Viper (albolabris species).
I have held various local snakes in captivity including a Rinkhals,female boomslang and a young puffy.However,these were all caught on a friends farm and were not legally bought.
I am now looking to acquire a Cape Cobra,my favorite naja species,but I cannot seem to find any sellers online.
Please could someone point me in the right direction of who to speak to regarding the above.

Many thanks,
Dan
Local-lover
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Acquiring a Cape Cobra-Eastern Cape

Postby Ales » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Firstly, how experienced are you at keeping venomous snakes? What other than a white lip have you kept? I
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Local-lover » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:13 am

Ales,as stated in my previous post,I have kept a rinkhals,puff adder and a juvinille boomslang.Although these were not kept as long term pets.
Local-lover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:17 am

Local-lover you do know that the snakes you have kept are quite different to Cape Cobras in the way the act and react? What other experience do you have with snakes?
I think you might struggle to get permits for Cape Cobras in the Eastern Cape but I do stand to be corrected.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:58 am

I don't see why you would want to keep one.I catch them every summer in local houses and gardens and honestly they just are not suited to captivity.Most Cape Cobras dont settle down and usually end up damaging their snouts as they continually try and find a way to escape.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:46 pm

I have kept many Cape cobras and they do very well. Give them a deep cage and a few hides and they settle down very well. I had 3 cb babies that after a year didn't even spread a hood anymore. Permits are easy if you can find snakes that are already on permit. Post a wanted add in the classifieds section and hopefully some members with extra specimens will respond. Good luck with them.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi.Michael is right they can be kept easily but definitely there are different temperaments among cobras as there are in people.The best ones to keep are captive bred with relaxed natures. A.
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 am

Allen G. Liebenberg wrote:Hi.Michael is right they can be kept easily but definitely there are different temperaments among cobras as there are in people.The best ones to keep are captive bred with relaxed natures. A.

Allen I agree with you.I have caught some very relaxed individuals and then again some really crazy hyperactive ones as well.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)