2 male B. arietans for urgent sale

2 male B. arietans for urgent sale

Postby chris_of_the_wild » Mon May 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi there to everyone,
I bought 2 male puffies from a guy who hadn't a clue on how to care for them. They are now fat and healthy, however I never intended on having them and therefore they are using space that I need quite urgently. They have no permits and are still quite young. The larger one is around 45cm and the smaller one is around 30cm. Both take live and uthenaised mice quite happily. Im looking for R400 for them both as thats what I paid.
Please whatsapp me on 062 121 6940 if you are interested.
Thank you all =)
The only difference between "scary" and "beautiful" is knowledge.
chris_of_the_wild
SA Reptiles Member

Re: 2 male B. arietans for urgent sale

Postby Ryuu » Mon May 11, 2015 6:15 pm

No Permits?

That kinda means you got to let them go.. cant sell them.

Also for future reference there's a Classifieds Section.

And Welcome to the form.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris_of_the_wild » Mon May 11, 2015 6:23 pm

I bought them without permits because the guy had them in tiny containers that had weeks of cr@p built up and wouldnt get rid of them until someone bought them.. So I did. I guess I just have to accept the loss then? A good deed never goes unpunished! Thanks for the info. What is the classifieds section for?
Thanks for the response, and glad to be here=)
chris_of_the_wild
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Mon May 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Good deed. And I commend you for it.

Someone else who is more knowledgeable in the area could assist you better.

the Classifieds section is for selling and buying.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris_of_the_wild » Mon May 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Oh ok, I see. Well, then I am more than happy to let them go. We have a nature reserve nearby where I release any Rinkhals, Mambas, Leopard Tortoises and indigenous lizards that I'm called out for, so Im sure they will be content there. Thank you for all your input.
chris_of_the_wild
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon May 11, 2015 8:47 pm

NEVER release any reptile if you do not know the exact area it originated from. You mess with the genetics of the areas population.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris_of_the_wild » Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Well there are other puffies in the reserve, so surely it shouldn't be a problem? And with regards to previous releases, its always people Ive known who are nearby. I obviously will confirm with the reserve's management before I release as I always do=)
chris_of_the_wild
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue May 12, 2015 8:26 am

Chris, I dont mean to sound condescending, but you still have a lot to learn regarding permits, legislation and ethics in the reptile hobby.

Without detailed knowledge of the locality of the puffies you intend to release, it would be crazy to release them. Different populations of snake have a different genetic make-up, even within the same species. So releasing a Natal puffy in a Gauteng reserve would be nuts. If memory serves, I think the maximum accepted distance to release from original locality is 20km, no further.

Take a bit of time and read through older topics on the forum before heading in gung-ho. People are less inclined to answer you when we all know the exact same topic has been discussed 100 times elsewhere on the forum. There's a search box on the right-hand upper corner of the page. Just use that before asking questions that have already been asked, and if you want to further elabotrate on the subject, use existing topics.

Thanx man.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby chris_of_the_wild » Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 am

I am then not quite sure what to do, they cannot be sold without permits, but they cannot be released without knowledge of origin which there is none as they were rescues. I did not intend to begin a repeated topic as I understand how frustrating that is, but I am now stuck if I cant sell or release them and there is no way I would know what origin they are. Apologies for any frustration regarding the topic. My intention was a sale, not a discussion however I am glad comments were posted. What do you think I should do? I just want the best for these little guys without destroying anything in the process.
chris_of_the_wild
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 am

Well sale is out of the question as they are obviously illegal (of course you werent aware of this).

So your options are limited:
- Kill them (not recommended)
- Keep them (strictly still illegal)
- Donate them to an institution who is allowed to keep them (best option)

There is a fine line between what is illegal and what is immoral/unethical. Personally I would say selling them is both illegal and immoral, but giving them to a mate who has a genuine interest would still be strictly illegal, but not immoral. So you would not be making money on wild caught/illegal animals.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby chris_of_the_wild » Tue May 12, 2015 11:32 am

Im not concerned about the money. I will see what institutions are nearby that would be willing to take them. Thanks a bunch.
chris_of_the_wild
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Puff adders (Bitis arietans)