Jameson and West African Green mambas

Jameson and West African Green mambas

Postby Dinks » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi,

Anyone know if Jameson and West African Green Mambas are being bred in South Africa? Does anyone keep them here?

Thanks
Dinks
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Jameson and West African Green mambas

Postby LizardLover » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 am

Mambas haven't yet been bred successfully allot of times in captivity. Well not in South Africa. It has been done before, but I think if someone bred mambas in captivity he/she would keep them.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm

LizardLover wrote:Mambas haven't yet been bred successfully allot of times in captivity. Well not in South Africa. It has been done before, but I think if someone bred mambas in captivity he/she would keep them.

There were both CB'13 Black and Green Mambas for sale this year, they just weren't advertised on the forum. It has been done a few times before in SA.

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know West African Green Mambas are illegal unless its for venom extraction. There is a Jameson's Mamba on display at most expos at the African Reptiles and Venom stand, although I'm not sure many people have those.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Were the mambas feeding?
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Yup, they feed perfectly. (Apologies for the cell phone pic)

073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 am

No exotic mambas are "illegal" so whoever told you that has it wrong. Very few people keep them. I know some were for sale a few years ago but they died I think before they were even sold. If you are buying "captive bred" or even "ranched" snakes from a dealer in Africa you need to know they will be in terrible condition in most cases so dont really bother with it. I have seen shipments of Jamesons mambas arrive that dont even have fangs left because the front of the face was rubbed away against wire mesh before they were shipped.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby michael » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Jameson and West African green mambas have been bred by some keepers overseas; I don’t think anyone has had much luck this side with these species. Black and green mambas have been bred a few times in South Africa and captive bred babies are available from time to time. Like BV says wild caught imports don’t come in, in great condition, and usually take a lot of work and expert care to keep alive let alone breed. They are incredibly beautiful and it’s a real pity they don’t seem to do better in captivity.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby wadekilian » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Probably should've phrased It better. I meant they would be allowed to be imported. That gave me the idea that there's a good chance that any you see here were smuggled. Is the exotic Mamba situation possibly the same thing as with P. sabae? Or are they allowed to be imported like any other snake?
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Import permits for these species have been issued in the past. I have no idea what their policies are at the moment though.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Mambas (Dendroaspis sp.)