Black Mambas - D. polylepis

Black Mambas - D. polylepis

Postby wadekilian » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:59 am

A few pics of one of my Black Mambas post shed. This is a 2.1 - 2.2m female. I've had them for a while now and they're still going strong. I've been told that both females gave eggs last season so I'm holding thumbs for this season.

Trap boxes (PROPER boxes, the cardboard box in the pic just acts as a hide and a raised basking spot) are definitely the way to go with these guys (especially with big / aggressive specimens). Fortunately they are generally very willing to retreat to their box when startled.

Some day I hope to keep all four Dendroaspis species as well as D. j. kaimosae. Anyway, here are the pics!

Regards
Wade

P.S apologies for the size of the pics.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Black Mambas - D. polylepis

Postby Serpent » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Beautiful snake! Am presuming you have a male too?

Is that pine shavings being used as a substrate?
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Black Mambas - D. polylepis

Postby wadekilian » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks! Yes, I do, I'm planning on getting another male in the near future though.

Yup, that is indeed pine shavings (manufactured by Marltons, I think). I've used pine shavings as a substrate for years without ill-effects. I've heard different opinions on it, due to the risk of the release of toxic fumes when it is heated etc. I read something on the internet a while ago that mentioned "heat treating" the shavings, and that most manufacturers do that. Would be interested in hearing other opinions on it :-). Always open to advice.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mambas (Dendroaspis sp.)