monocled cobra breeding

monocled cobra breeding

Postby babrepti » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 pm

hey all

Just thinking about breeding my newest pair of albino monocled cobras(have 2 pairs now), had a bit of trouble with last season :smt017 . Would like tips from anybody who has bred these before ?

Have had a great success rate with snouteds, mozi spitters , rinkhals and most of other stuff i have tried to breed .

My first pair of monocles only gave me 6 eggs, and of those only 1 survivor :smt022 , and all my other eggs from other snakes hatched(same incubator).

So ya when the times comes i hope to have 2 pairs breeding, lots of eggs and many babies.

Thats that, any advice would be taken well
cheers
b
babrepti
SA Reptiles Member

Re: monocled cobra breeding

Postby deleray » Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 am

Not much out there but you can take a look at a snippet from Ricihard Mastenbroeks page on non-spitting Asian Naja.

Breeding:

To breed these two species of cobras is in my opinion not the hardest job to do, I tried different methods and all seem to work quit well.

All cobras of the Naja complex are oviparous and lay 8 – 28 (max. 45) eggs in a clutch. The eggs are laid 60 – 100 days after oviposition. Depending on the incubation temperature will the eggs hatch after 48 – 60 days. The hatchlings molt for the first time after 2 – 11 days. The egg size is aproximaly 47 – 55 mm x 22 – 35 mm. Hatchlings are 12 – 27 cm by birth.

To get the adult cobras to mate did I use different methods, all the things that I tried didn’t make a big difference at all. Personally I think that these animals don’t need a hibernation period to make influence on there mating behaviour. Still I use to give them a sort of wet season from October till January. In this fake wet season do I also play with the temperature. Out of experience I found out that when I don’t provide the snakes with this wet period they still mate. The only difference I could see is that there is a bigger change of a second clutch of eggs in the same season when I give them this wet period.

I incubate the eggs in a dry incubator on a temperature of 28 - 320C. The humidity level is around 70 – 80% and can be influenced with spraying the eggs.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Re: monocled cobra breeding

Postby dendroaspis » Thu May 07, 2009 2:11 pm

What I do is spray the cage and pretty much the room they are in, to "simulate" a wet season. But then the whole room is concrete and the cage is built out of bricks, making it easier :)
Have had fair results thus far.
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)