Feeding the addiction

Feeding the addiction

Postby JeffG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi Guys,

Well I just couldn't help myself... After wanting one for awhile now, I bought myself 0.1 Naja pallida. Thanks so much to eyelash viper for an amazing animal!

Time for some pictures,

I have her on newspaper now as that is what she was kept on previously and will swap her over onto mulch on the weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Feeding the addiction

Postby bigvang62 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 pm

she''s a beauty
bigvang62
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Smeegle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:09 am

Awesome, Dude! Congrats!

Don't forget to ALWAYS wear your face mask if you open the cage, they can be very sneaky at spraying when you least expect it:)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

Stunning prominent teardrop at the eye, very nice.
And I agree with smeegle, always but always wear a face mask!
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Guys,

She seems to be relaxed but very curious and active in checking out her new cage. After the trgic news i recieved on Sunday night i have chucked out the goggles and got a full face mask. Having never raised these before I was wondering if they tend to go a darker red as they grow or will she stay this cool orange red?

I love all my cobras but don't trust them one bit and won't take any chances with these beautiful creatures.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:02 pm

JeffG wrote:After the tragic news i recieved on Sunday night i have chucked out the goggles and got a full face mask.

Me too! I found a really nice full face one in the welding section at Build-it yesterday.

The thing is, I was wearing goggles when my big Red blasted me on the cheek from 2m away last weekend. Although I was very startled at the quantity of venom and at the pressure and duration of the spray, I didn't think much of it at the time.

However, in light of recent events I realise it could have been bad if I had been hit in the mouth or up a nostril.

Only full face masks for me from now onwards:)

Not too sure about the colour as I got mine as an adult...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Actually, looking at your pictures again, mine is a lot darker. I reckon he's easilly 1.2m long, not sure of age though.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Smeegle,

It is really a shock to the system when we see how the things we sometimes shrug off as not such a big deal could have caused major problems. After having spoken to Sly who has kept and bred them in the past he said that they do tend to shift from the orange red to a darker red with age and size. Your male is quite alot bigger than my female, she is probably 90cm or so and not nearly as thick as your male.

They are stunnigly beautiful snakes and really interesting to watch, but like any venemous snake require extreme caution when working with.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 am

Just abit of an update,

The female i have found to be really nervous not really wanting to eat much. So i taped newspaper around a tub completely covering it and kept her tub simple ie waterbowl and hide and this week when i fed her she ate straight away.

I also picked up a nice young male from Whitelipp during the week and he is eating like a machine. Excuse the poor photograph as i placed him in an empty glass cage to take it as he is aware of the fact that he is a spitter.

As i was opening his tub to feed him he spat on the lid and i thought you all might find this spray pattern interesting, two perfect circles.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Yes they even filmed this snake rotating its head in a circle to form that spiral effect. I have no idea why but just one droplet will hurt either way.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)