King Cobra or ornamental

King Cobra or ornamental

Postby Sage » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi Guys

Just wanted to know if its legal and if there are any breeders of the master king cobra.

I know i am still a amature in the keeping of venomous. Done a bit of research.

My Next question is what the most stunning ornamental to keep.

:)
das Quantum der Salbei https://plus.google.com/109729313234914312071
Sage
SA Reptiles Member

Re: King Cobra or ornamental

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:47 pm

What's an ornamental?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sage » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:52 pm

ornamental animal is an animal kept for display or curiosity :)

Actually i am looking for a handling course willing to travel, befor i am interested in buying.
Sage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 pm

I would not advice a king for amature hot keepers, get something along the lines of smaller adders perhaps or garter snakes, something where if you get tagged, you can atleast survive with more certianty... would say kings are not the best choice even for experienced guys. I have not experience with hots, so I am just giving my thought :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Search the forum, there are many topics on this. I also feel a king cobra is not a snake meant for captivity other than zoo's or reptile parks.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:50 pm

I'd agree with Rodwraylva and Monopeltis. Kings get BIG, and the non-existance of antivenom in the country will put your life-expectancy at about 0% after a bite. They are also highly intelligent, learn patterns quickly, and are unpredictable, like any other snake or reptile. Speak to Bushviper, or keep an eye on the forum for handling courses. There are available from time to time.

I'd personally suggest getting a Taiwanese Rat Snake, or a pair. They get to a reasonable size, they are pleasing to the eye, have an insane feeding response, and every time they tag you, you can look back, and think about the fact that if it was a King you'd probably be dead...
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 am

What do you plan on feeding your King Cobra ?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dodge » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:34 am

If you really thinking about going hot (and a bit brave) I would suggest maybe getting yearling or a juv CopperHead.

I have kept a couple of them and really think they are easy to handle compared to your other venomous
and they are also extreamly beautiful to look at (ornamental).
And if you do get tagged you most prob will only loose a finger or so :)

Just go on a handling course use hook sticks and respect them and you will be ok.
But def not King Cobra they can grow over 4m easily and when they tagg you release an extreame amount of venom.
Good Luck
dodge
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qball » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:26 am

If you do for some reason decide to jump to hots, I would suggest a Cape Coral Snake. Beautiful in my opinion and also have an attitude. And I speak under correction, no deaths have been recorded from Aspidelaps lubricus lubricus.
A Copperhead can cause some nasty necrosis and has also caused a few deaths.
But as monopeltis said, search the forum. Just type in starter hots and you should find tons of info.

Check this out below as well... definately a very good thread to read.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17409

One thing to think about, are you prepared to die for you hobby...?
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sage » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:45 am

Hey Guys thanks for the responses.

Thats why i posted had to get the run down on this snake, The King Cobra is like one of the most interesting snakes for me in the wild. I was just interested to know if anyone keeps them and if it is legal.

But ja thanks for the advice guys.

My response to this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17409 is YES OMG a person has to be every careful if they own hot snakes (lol if thats what you call it) You can never trust a snake by default :)

So yea, im not looking for a python or corns. Are there and green adder type of snakes i can look at. For instance something that chills on a branch with a nice head kinda ornamental type of snake.

Tx Sage
Sage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 am

I would say for ornamental go for a salmon pink bird eater, it’s a really cool spider to have an I got mine a while ago, at first it was just a spider but now that it’s a bit bigger I’m loving it. Watching it catch food is so cool and growth rate is amazing and they make for good display animals as they grow really big and not a lot of people see T’s at that size.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:55 pm

I dont know of any green adders but a white lip tree viper is an awesome colour green really cool snakes. But as everyone has said rather get a really aggro non venomous.
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sage » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:23 pm

poobsta wrote:I dont know of any green adders but a white lip tree viper is an awesome colour green really cool snakes. But as everyone has said rather get a really aggro non venomous.

Thanks, i did see a green type of viper/snake at the exo show last year in a a glass cage it was green with two spikes on its nose. ? Forgot the name

I Am gonna go for the advice and go for a non venomous snake. The thing is when i bring in an animal i give it the best care i possibly can till it pass's. I want to make the best investment in something really nice.

At least i have people like you guys to guide me. And excuse the noobness in my curiosity :)
Sage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sage » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:49 pm

A corn snake is a little old school for me i had 3, 1 red lip herald about 6 years ago. I let him go the first time i put him down in this forest section we had with willows and lots of frogs etc near my house on the waterfront. He just looked to bitchy to pick up again he looked in his element, flat face ready to strike, i was like OK!!! come here, so i let him go on the dam wall. oh and I gave my mom a corn snake, it escaped out of its wood/glass cage. I was like wot?... sheesh.. 2 years later we found the serpant in the roof twice the size ha ha.. :)

I am really looking for a nice snake... I know martin just got some Champaign pythons... but having second thoughts on a python
Sage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm

The Taiwanese Rat snake is what I think the best option its pretty and reaches a length up to 2.5m, some are a bit aggressive but I have a male that has never even struck out at me.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder