Kenya Naja

Kenya Naja

Postby Manson » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 am

Hi,

So on the way to work this week i found this guy crossing the road.

At first glance i thought it was a Pallida from the colour and the tear drops under its eye's but then realised its way to big and you are not supposed to find red spitters in Nairobi.

So i then realised it was a very odd coloured Black-necked spitting cobra. What do you guys think it was?

It did not try spit and was very well behaved.

+-1.5m long

Sorry for the phone pics, i did not have my camera available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God said, let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals and over all the creatures that move along the ground.....Genesis 1:26
Manson
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Kenya Naja

Postby Manson » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:28 am

Here is another picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God said, let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals and over all the creatures that move along the ground.....Genesis 1:26
Manson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:03 pm

The orange throat leads me to believe that's a Black-necked Spitter - Naja nigricollis.

I've heard the N. nigricollis from Kenya are a lot lighter than the black ones we generally see.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Yeah, that's a Naja nigricollis - they are very variable in Kenya, from pure black to the sort of thing seen in the photo.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 pm

WW, is N. crawshayi now a recognised species and would the specimen above be nigricollis or crawshayi?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)