Breeding season started also over here already

Breeding season started also over here already

Postby snakepeter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi all,

as it`s quite slow over here, I am sharing with you pictures of first breedings of this year over us. Luckily, after 2 years our group of Naja naja polyocellata bred well for us again... We have 2 clutches in incubator so far, maybe 1 more will follow later. We will see...

Best regards,
Peter

snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kay » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:33 pm

very cool! congrats!!
Kay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

That is really nice. These are the pretty spectacled cobras. Keep us posted on the eggs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 am

Congrats!! When they hatch we'ld like some photos please.

Holding thumbs BV will be breeding his this year!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby froot » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:35 am

Excellent Snakepeter, I wish you all the success with the eggs. Anything else you have in the incubator?

Thanks for sharing.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Long John Silver » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:12 pm

You dont feel like posting some more pics of the parents?
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Bushbaby wrote:Congrats!! When they hatch we'ld like some photos please.

Holding thumbs BV will be breeding his this year!!

No problem, I will post some pictures once babies are hatched...

BV, how does it look over you with breeding of this species? There should be some signs already, as it`s breeding season of them now... ;)
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:53 pm

froot wrote:Excellent Snakepeter, I wish you all the success with the eggs. Anything else you have in the incubator?

As we have middle of winter over here in Europe, there is nothing else in incubator now... I am sure it will not last too long in this way :)

Yesterday we found another surprise, which we were expecting, but in month or two later... Hope you will not mind I will post pictures here, especially when I started this threat.
In beginning of September last year we imported 6 pcs of Cryptelytrops fasciatus from Indonesia. There were 5 females and single male among them. 3 females we sold to good friend, and kept remaining for us. Unfortunatelly, one our female died in few weeks, she had problems with shedding, and no help from us solved it....
4 days before Christmas one of female over our friend gave a birth to 9 babies! As we had an agreement, that half of possible babies will be ours, it was very possitive information for us. At that time we checked our remaining female, as it looked like she could be also gravid. My friend Marek told me she is not feeding few weeks already, just killing a mice.
After New Year we moved her with male to new enclosure, and were prepared to wait a month or two in hope of getting some babies as well.
Yesterday morning, when we came to work, big surprise was waiting for us. Female was almost finish with giving birth to babies!!! It really surprised us, but made very happy as well :D
After removing of babies from females cage we counted 9 little babies. I left work sooner, but Marek called me later that female gave birth to one more baby, but he didn`t move it from females cage yet. "Nice", I told to myself. Today I was searching for this baby in cage, and to my surprise I found 2 babies instead of one! So final (I think I can say it now already :cool: count is 11 alive babies, and 1 bad egg.

This species isn`t very colorful, but is very rarely kept in captivity. Breeding is really rare occasion, although we can say for sure both females were mated in wild. Only record I found in from Dallas Zoo (2001), where they got 8 babies. Pair copulated in late December, and babies were born on 1st of July...

Here are some pictures which could hopefully interest you...

Female 3 days before giving a birth:

Baby with adult male:

Portrait of babies borned over us:

This pictures shows how different babies can be. We have brown and red adult females, and are curious if this green/yellow ones can keep their color till maturity... We are happy about this breeding, as we plan to hold more males and try to make a real captive breeding in the future...
Babies on pictures are from female over our friend, credit for photo goes to him - Tomas Bublik.

Best regards,
Peter
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Long John Silver wrote:You dont feel like posting some more pics of the parents?

Didn`t I post some sooner already? I am not sure. Here are pictures of the father... :roll: Nice, 180 cm long "sausage"... :-P

snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Snakepeter it is after mid summer here so should these cobras still be put together? I was going to wait for spring.

Congrats on all the little vipers. Lets hope they do not giving you trouble when trying to feed them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:35 pm

PETER - Is that what you provide with regards to a nestbox? It looks like you have moist cardboard. Am i correct?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm

WOW man congrads you are very lucky :)
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby snakepeter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Bushviper wrote: Snakepeter it is after mid summer here so should these cobras still be put together? I was going to wait for spring.

I think you can`t loose anything if you try it... One never know, maybe they will mate for you yet... Maybe they remmember that breeding season for them is now... We are still trying to mate our remaining 2 females yet, although 2 laid eggs already... ;)

Bushviper wrote:Congrats on all the little vipers. Lets hope they do not giving you trouble when trying to feed them.

2 of 9 babies from first clutch are feeding on lizards, others had to be force feed... We don`t expect our will be different, but with little bit of care they should be ok. We have good experience with babies of C. albolabris or purpureomaculatus, which were behaiving the same...
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakepeter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Rob wrote:PETER - Is that what you provide with regards to a nestbox? It looks like you have moist cardboard. Am i correct?

No, cardboard is dry... Female has an opportunity to lay eggs into box with wet spagnum, which is placed out of hidding box. They usually prefer to lay them inside of hidding box, although it`s dry...
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:34 am

Thanx for the photo's. Nice snakes
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)