is posible bitis heraldica?¿?

Postby xerophak » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:58 pm

armata - I.

I dont mind walking behind everybody :)

:lol:

sorry all, i think posible,.thanks for the explanation ww. I am going to try to fight by that book, , I to surrender by search !
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 pm

I know Wulf Haacke has a report of some other unidentified adder in Northern Namibia on a mountain range there. They have been there a few times to go search but have come up empty handed. I think Hans Werner Hermann and Ulli Jogger also went looking for it. Possibly you can combine the two trips.

Pythonadipsas I laugh a leopard gets you cause they always take the person thats last in the line. Buy a donkey and ride that.

If anyone finds a Bitis heraldica and pickles it they better not come back here because they might get ambushed and shot for doing that. Getting kidnapped will be a holiday in comparison!

If you find any Dwarf pythons just remember Angola is not a CITES country.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Ha ha - BV now you gave me an idea - we can just set up a breeding program for dwarf pythons in angola and export the offspring to all the non-cites countries. :)

Wulf showed me slides of the snake you are talking about. Did you also see the slides? It was from the Otjihipa Mountains I think. It was large like a puff-adder and it had large oval to round shapes reminding me of Vipera russellii.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Hellemar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi...

I see that Börje Flärdh has part of that copyright and Börje is from Sweden and I know that ha has been working with herps in Europe (and surroundings) so my bet would definatly be a Vipera sp and way not a Vipera renardi as mentioned or Vipera ursinii ssp...

I know that Börje was working (in the late -80´s ?) with other famous herpetologists as Göran Nilson and Claes Andren in Turkey and if I´m not wrong, they was studying vipers...

Henke :)
Survival is the only game worth winning...
Hellemar
SA Reptiles Support

Postby armata » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:33 pm

My money is still on male Vipera renardi
distinctive labial markings, frontal entire, distinctive rostral, sigle apical as far as is visible.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:56 am

Ok thanks Henke.

If you find their publications available in PDF please let me know. Its always intereting to read new authors' revisions. The eastern block forms of Vipera seem the most confusing to me ie: nokolskii, dinniki, renardi, lotievi and others.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Mongoose » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Armata, I remember Maruis said he is going "anting" ( searching for ants) with a friend/s etc.. He said that i may join depending on what my parents say seeing as i had to beg them to go on a another SARCA trip. :D When you do speak to him again, ask him is there still place for David from Kimberley.:D
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby armata » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:54 pm

For those not heavily into taxonomy it is better to think of species complexes.
e.g. the ursinii group - V.ursinii, V.renardi, V.anatolica, .V.ebneri, V.eriwanensis, V.lotievi.
The very confusing Echis complex.
Up to 12 species described but think of as four species complex - i.e. E.coloratus, E.carinatus, E.pyramidum, E.ocellatus.
Whether or not the remainder are valid we can all argue about; but the base stands firm.
I could mention other complexes but you get the idea.
WW will smack me for this, but I think of splitting further as 'fine tuning'.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Re: is posible bitis heraldica?¿?

Postby nvlooi » Wed May 25, 2011 1:58 pm

Sorry for bringing back such an old thread...

Has anybody have a decent picture of Bitis heraldica.

Thanks,
Henco
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to African adders (Bitis sp.)