Puff adder sub species

Puff adder sub species

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:18 pm

Just a quick question : Is Bitis arietns somalica a recognized subspecies and can it thus be classified as exotic? Are the only differences between the two the keeled subcaudals?

If this is true, does anyone keep any of these as "exotic" hots?
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby shamroth » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:28 pm

they are a recognized subspecies,so i guess they classified as exotic..not sure about all the difference but i think the main ones are the subcaudals as well as b.a. somalica being quite a bit bigger.

by the way can you get pure bred somalica?if you can please pm me...id love some but never seen them for sale
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Shamroth. Thanks for that. Unfortunately, no, I am also not aware of any pure somalians available. Wouln't mind getting some myself. Would you think that polyvalent av used for B. arietans would also be effective against B, a somalica?
Nasicornis

Postby Mongoose » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:05 pm

B.a.somalia does no longer exist, all of them are B.arietans now.

I stand to be corrected though.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:20 pm

So, what happened to the keeled subcaudals? Have they also vanished or is it only described as a regional difference now?
Nasicornis

Postby Mongoose » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:29 pm

I know lots is based on DNA.

The Bibrons Gecko and the Turners Gecko, they look pretty much identical, but yet in "DNA" terms they differ alot.

I am not too clued up on DNA ( I never listen in Bio class) Maybe WW of armata could explain a bit more if they get what im trying to say.

Goose
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:45 pm

At the moment there is DNA work being done in Wales of all places.

These guys (and gals) seem to be cornering the world market when it comes to describing new snake species.

One of our members might be able to enlighten us as to how far the research is and any possibly indications.

I cannot believe that puff adders from "Cape to Cairo" are all exactly the same. Strangely I tried to breed a male specimen from Burundi with a local female and he never showed any interest in her, however I have seen the same with "Cape" puff adders and Gauteng puff adders.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dave » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:08 pm

thought the middle african puff grows a lot larger than both north & southafrican specimens,heard things of the somalica sp reaching up to 180cm
dave
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:24 pm

Bushviper wrote:At the moment there is DNA work being done in Wales of all places.

These guys (and gals) seem to be cornering the world market when it comes to describing new snake species.

LOL!

More seriously, there is a heck of a lot genetic variation (a lot more than than you might expect!) across the range of B. arietans, including on a small geographic scale within SA. Whether these different variants represent different species or genetic variation within a single species remains to be ascertained. B.s. somalica is but one tiny piece in this jigsaw puzzle. More will be revealed in due course ;)

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Now you know why all the requests for puffie scale clippings!! A joint paper (WW sen author) being presented at the BIOLOGY OF THE VIPERS conference in Portugal in September; But this won't be publsied (I think) so have to wait for the paper.

Wasn't it in Spawls & Branch stated that the keeled subcaudals were (or might be) an aid to side winding?
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Re: Puff adder sub species

Postby Echis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:16 pm

This one is Bitis arietans somalica from northern Kenya (Marsabit District).
Echis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:45 pm

Echis thanks for those pictures. They do however look so similar to other B. arietans that I would not be able to tell the difference from a photo.

Armata I know about all the biological samples and knew a comment like that would get WW to answer, although I was hoping he was going to brag and give us a bit more info. No luck.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Echis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Yes, superficially looks like "normal" puffs...There is only one (twe - with DNA) diagnostic charactes - keeled subcaudals...I have experience, that a lot of specimens of somalica have keeled only last subcaudals (ca. 5-7). Here is a locality, from where my specimens (2,1) come. Image
Echis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:03 pm

I think there are several other species of snake that are way more deserving of a sub-specific split, due to coloration and pattern differences. Think of Horned Adders (Bits caudalis) and Spotted House Snakes (Lamprophis gutattus)?
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby dave » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 pm

nice puff :cool: ,cool habitat shot looks awesome over there :o
dave
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to African adders (Bitis sp.)