Newbie to all this

Newbie to all this

Postby merchant » Tue May 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi,
I am new to keeping reptiles so I have a question regarding the best gecko to keep.
I have an hexagon 45 cm wide by 65 cm high aquarium that I have plants growing in, there is a light source for the plants as it's kept inside and a heat source as the plants cannot tolerate cold, there's a rock and a piece of drift wood in there and the "ground" is covered in moss, there is also a lot of humidity. I was wondering if there is any way to keep a gecko in there.
From the research I have done the most common is the leopard gecko but they require sandy substrate which will not work.
I am looking for something that lives in a tropical environment but that I can get in Cape Town.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
merchant
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Newbie to all this

Postby bubblesharp » Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 pm

what plants do you have in your aquarium? I am not an expert but I don't think you can put a gecko with just any plants. I'm sure you'll get better advise when you let the guys know what plants you have in the aquarium.

Cheers

E
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue May 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi there, as bubblesharp said, yes it will help to know what plants you have. Some plants are just no suitable. As for the geckos, you should probably look at crested geckos, as they are arboreal as well, and do well in planted setups. Madagascan day geckos may be an option as well.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby merchant » Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 am

Hi guys, thanks for the reply, I have a fig bonsai, baby fern and some other little palm type thing in there if that helps.
merchant
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jaco Smit » Wed May 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Leopard geckos could be kept in there. But they are very sun-shy so hides should be provided and then it should be fine. "n groundy perhaps? A leopard gecko is actually not use to sand substrate but more bark and pebbles and some mos. they require humidity but not to hectic. I'd say about 50 -70 % humidity. that is what I am trying to keep mine at.Please do correct me If I am Wrong. But it is what I read is best inside a leo's hide.
Please Note I did NOT Mention anything about the plant. Because, simply I don't know. But they sound cool enough to me.
LOL.
Please do append Some pics If you get a chance.
Happy Herping.
Jaco Smit
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Nope that is way too wet for Leopard geckos. They would not do too well in an constantly wet area. They originate from semi desert areas.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby chamoflage » Wed May 04, 2011 7:41 pm

African fat tails then?? they come from naturally humid regions and would appreciate the mossy planted setup. And they're not too likely to escape as the stickey toes are absent. Africa's version of the Leo. BUT!!!! Again check the plants, if you have enough hides and whether the conditions in there exactly suit the gecko. Cresties are wicked to look at. But my opinion is try go for the African Fat tail. Just a preference.
The sky has many holes
These holes are very small
That is why rain is so thin
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 05, 2011 8:26 am

Yeah Fat tails would be a better idea. There are a number of them available at the moment.

Those plants dont ring any bells as to being toxic.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby merchant » Thu May 05, 2011 11:05 am

To my knowledge none of the plants are toxic, so if I have this right, my options are Fat tails, crested geckos or Madagascan day geckos?
I haven't been able to find any of these available in Cape Town, any suggestions were I can get them from?
merchant
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 am

I recall some time back Panorama Pets had a group of Crested Geckos.

Maybe give them a call.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Jaco Smit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:17 pm

They're expensive but worth every cent.

Very cool lil Characters.

From what I have heard/Read Leopard Geckos are like Bearded dragons. Their habitats range from near water to desert areas. NOTE.. NEAR BUT NOT IN/ON WATER.
They often dwell around pebbled areas also wet at times. Although I can not speak for where they are 'housed' in the wild and how close to the water they will sleep. Maybe more research. Does anybody know of a article or vid on the web. Maybe a on site wild Leo observation research done by National GEO or someone?
Happy Herping.
Jaco Smit
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Leopard geckos do not live anywhere near permanent water. They occur in desert areas. Keeping them too damp will eventually kill them. They do have water on them in the form of rain or dew but this evaporates and they are left with damp caves or under logs and large rocks where it can be damp to retreat to for higher humidity.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous geckos