What gecko could it be?

What gecko could it be?

Postby Marion » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi all
I have a friend that lives on a plot in the Pretoria area. We were talking pets and she mentioned that she has lots of white geckos on her property. She says they look gross!!! Not a reptile fan!!! They are white and almost transparent. She says they are also a bit bigger than the usual gecko she sees. I can't get hold of a picture but I am sure one of you will have some idea what she could have running up and down her walls?

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What gecko could it be?

Postby fredsmith » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:28 am

Hemidactylus mabouia, tropical house gecko?Image
Picture from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_house_gecko
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:28 am

Hemidactylus mabouia - Moureau's Tropical House Gecko.

*sorry Fredsmith you beat me to it , but concur on the species.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Yeah these geckos will change colour at night. I hope she gets malaria or some other insect borne disease. How can a gecko look gross. I would love to see a picture of her!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Marion » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks so much for the input. Will tell her that they are ordinary house geckos and that they change colour. Something I didn't know either!! It's not the lizard that freaks her out but the strange look when they are while and translucent. My friend leaves them in peace because she knows how good they are at keeping insects at bay, but she was wondering what the white ones were (me too). It seems that not only chameleons change colour. My beardies also change from extremely dark to a beautiful pale sandy colour and my frillies also lighten and darken in colour. Is it something a lot of lizards do?
Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:40 am

Marion possibly they look like zombies to her. Let her observe them a bit and she will grow to appreciate them. If she does not disturb them then she can still be rehabilitated. Once she gets to know a bit more about them she will change her mind. I think you have some work to do!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Marion » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Bushviper - yes I'm sure I can rehabilitate her. She's a great animal lover like me and with some prodding from me she will get to appreciate them. She's very keen to see my brood at home, so that is a starting point.

People are always under some misconception about something they know nothing about. I have heard people say that snakes are slimy a million times. Where on earth do they get that idea from????? I always explain that they actually feel smooth and dry like a leather handbag - sort of - and not slimy at all. Oh well our educating work is never done!

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous geckos