ID needed quickly

ID needed quickly

Postby shellystill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi all

I was hoping you could help me identify this little critter. He came back to the UK in a suitcase from Kilimanjaro and we have no idea what to feed him or what temperature he needs to be in. We have just bought him some crickets, but he is only about an inch long and the baby crickets are almost the same size! Any help to keep this little guy alive would be great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellystillphotography/6842314009/

Thanks
shellystill
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ID needed quickly

Postby Fooble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

That looks like Hemidactylus sp.
One of the "House" Gecko's.
It will feed on small pin head crickets, they are nocturnal so try give it warm temps of around ambient 27/28 degree's. Which will drop a bit at night 24-25 degree's.

Spray the enclosure 2-3 times a week lightly in one corner/side to provide it with moisture.
They are incredibly hardy animals and should do quite well providing you can source the right sized crickets.

What a little traveller best of luck.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby shellystill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:41 pm

This is brilliant, thank you so much. We bought hopper crickets, so back to the drawing board tomorrow morning with that. I was wondering what would be the best thing to line the vivarium floor with? At the moment he seems quite happy under a spinach leaf! Thanks again!
shellystill
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:30 am

You can use almost anything fro the flooring,
How ever i would suggest a fine layer of sand or just kombuis paper for ease of hygiene you can out in a few sticks/branches as they will climb quite a bit too.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby thorrshamri » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Most likely a Hemidactylus mabouia ;)
[url=http://dragonsdasgard.actifforum.com/index.forum][img]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7313/bannieredragonazgard7qobu4.jpg[/img][/url]

THORR GECKOS © amateur Gecko breeder from France/Editor of the GGA (Global Gecko Association) www.gekkota.com
thorrshamri
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shellystill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:03 pm

That is exactly what he is! Thanks

Unfortunately 'Roy' was still not eating this morning, so we decided to do best by him and took him to the local RSPCA who have passed him to a very experienced reptile owner. He has a lot better chance then staying with two novices!

Thanks for all the help!
shellystill
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous geckos