Invertebrates and Amphibians Wholesale

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Re: Invertebrates and Amphibians Wholesale

Postby SaInvertebrates » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm

Westley Price wrote:Another sore point for me is that for every new species currently not in the country, I thought that EIA had to be completed?

You cannot simply bring new species in without these costly studies being done.

This is true, fairly costly but a rather fast process if the correct documentation is provided before hand.
“The earth has music for those who listen.” ― George Santayana
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Dont forget about the AGRICULTURAL PESTS ACT 36 OF 1983 (as amended)

'Minister' means the Minister of Agriculture;

'import' means to introduce controlled goods into the Republic or to bring about the introduction of such goods into the Republic;

'insect' means any invertebrate member of the animal kingdom, irrespective of the stage of development thereof

I) Subject to the provisions of subsections (4), (5) and (6) no person shall import into the Republic any plant, pathogen, insect, exotic animal, growth medium, infectious thing, honey, beeswax or used apiary equipment;except on the authority of a permit.

Getting a permit from this Department is essential if you do not want them to "destroy or cause to be destroyed such goods or such part thereof as he may determine, after having given the person by whom or on whose behalf those goods have been imported or the person in possession or in charge of those goods at least seven days' written notice of his intention to do so: Provided that where in the opinion of such executive officer the destruction of the goods is urgently required or the giving of notice is impracticable, notice need not be given;"

That means they can incinerate your shipment at the airport and I have seen them do it in the past.

If you do not have this permit then you "shall be guilty of an offence and liable-
(i) on a first conviction of an offence in terms of paragraph (a) or (aA), to a fine not exceeding R20 000 or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years or to both such fine and such imprisonment;

Just be warned there are very good reasons why nobody else has been importing insects and amphibians for the past 30 years. If you only required a Nature conservation permit and a Vet health certificate there would be shipment landing every week.

Good luck with your endevours.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ceratogyrus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

As far as I am aware no permits have been issued for tarantulas and likely will not be done anytime soon.
Have you got the actual permit in your possession?
Ceratogyrus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ceratogyrus » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 am

Guessing this guy was just bluffing as all of the guys before them have done.
Ceratogyrus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 pm

It is possible. Just costs time and money which nobody seems to want to spend.

Until you actually have the permit in your hands dont go advertise that you are going to do this or that. Many of us have been around the block a few times and can smell a "story" from a long way off.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ceratogyrus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Agree. Have seen a few times that people brag about having permits. When confronted, they quickly get aggressive and when they figure they have been caught out, they just go into hiding and pretend nothing ever happened.
Ceratogyrus
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Invertebrates