What spider is this? found at Western Cape Langebaan

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

What spider is this? found at Western Cape Langebaan

Postby JohnOber » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 pm

My mom was bitten by a spider yesterday, she lives in Western Cape Langebaan, can anyone tell me what spider this is?
Also included pictures of the bite, the day after she was bitten on her arm.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnOber
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What spider is this? found at Western Cape Langebaan

Postby Henre » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Did she go to the doctor yet? If not she should get that looked at and medicated...
Henre
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 am

All spiders are venomous, so to go to a doctor will definitely be a good idea, unfortunately I don't know what spider it is, some people get bad allergic reactions vomiting, necrosis, respiratory conditions to the venom even if a spider's venom isn't seen as life threatening
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Axanthic » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi, if your mom hasn't been to the doctor yet, please be sure to take her as soon as you see this. I am 95 percent sure, that the spider in question, is a brown widdow, even though some people react better to the venom than others, it is advised to see a doctor, a course of antihestamines and antibiotics will be needed to counter the venom. please be advised that severe reactions can be fatal.
Axanthic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JohnOber » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes she wat at the doctor the same day and he said that she should let him know if she experience any headaches etc. She had a back operation a month ago and are on very strong antibiotics for the last month or so, luckily.

I will post more photos after she had been to the docter again.

Thanks
JohnOber
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 am

That is a male of one of the Therididae group of spiders, which includes the Widow and Button spiders. It is a very lare family of spiders, the majority of which are harmless to humans due to their small size. It is unlikley that the spider pictured was the cause of the bite.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Invertebrates