Transkei Dwarf Chameleon (Bradypodion caffrum)

Transkei Dwarf Chameleon (Bradypodion caffrum)

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi everyone. now here is something iv always wanted to discus..

for the past year now, i have been raising a baby transkei dwarf chameleon. ( i know you are not permitted to keep these)
i must mention though, that most of its life so far HAS been outside, in nature! in a little garden. where i would bring it food and water everyday etc.
im not going to tell you a long story and try and convince you that it was in good hands, becus that would just take to long , and i know i did a very good job :)

(but how this happend: a friend of mine who lives near an area where they are plenty full, would look after the ones he finds in winter( ill or starving) and then releases them again when the time is right. last year one of the females he was caring for, happend to be pregnant. he gave me one of the babies. )

i must say after having raised it for a year now, i could pretty much write a book. its not easy! ofcourse i did all my research be4 hand, but i couldnt help but wonder why there is almost NO INFORMATION on these species? or care sheets. legal terms aside, lets admit, there are people in this country who will find one and think its "cool " to keep it, but since nothing is written down on how to care for them, this often results in a bad ending. these are also so rare to see , are there numbers not slowly declining?

anyway , i will be releasing my baby soon, i just wish i could do it all again. and will miss her.
does anyone know from the eastern cape if these species are declining or thriving? or the current stats? or if there are any breeding programs in place? etc.

thankyou for taking time to read this.
Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. - Albert Einstein
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Transkei Dwarf Chameleon (Bradypodion caffrum)

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 pm

carloz (28).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. - Albert Einstein
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed May 27, 2009 9:21 pm

B.caffrum (also called the Pondo Dwarf) is pretty limited to the vicinity Port St Johns coastline from my understanding.
Most Bradypodium are fairly "rare" or threatened due to the habitat ect.

You wont find any caresheets or the like due to the "rarity" not to mention the illegal issues of keeping them, in my opinion keeping most Bradypodium isn't a great idea as the populations they are found in are small enough as it is and taking one individual out only decreases the species numbers?
Where will you release it to? Do you know where the population is occouring in your area?
I think thee are important factors to think about? You cant just release it anywhere as this doesn't help much.
I see the populations of B.melanocephalum being pretty isolated here in KZN some area's you can find up to 10 animals in a few square meters and other area's none.

I noticed you said bring it water? How were you supplying it with water?

Kudos in including a picture too, looks a little skinny to me?
BTW the "her" is a He you can see the hemipenal buldges.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Wed May 27, 2009 9:23 pm

PS. try finding caresheets on C. dilepis Flapneck Chameleons there wont be!
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 9:33 pm

wow suddenly im being lectured?
do you need me to take a video of me misting a branch and leaves and how it drinks the water????
il be releasing it where the parents came from.
i know there are legal issues, not that i care , im not hurting it! i made sure it made it through the first year.thats all., and now il let it live off the rest of its years where it belongs?
okay its a male so shoot me.

thanks for the help
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed May 27, 2009 9:42 pm

camper wrote:wow suddenly im being lectured?
do you need me to take a video of me misting a branch and leaves and how it drinks the water????
il be releasing it where the parents came from.
i know there are legal issues, not that i care , im not hurting it! i made sure it made it through the first year.thats all., and now il let it live off the rest of its years where it belongs?
okay its a male so shoot me.

thanks for the help

You posted and i simply replied with a genuine comment with only the best intentions.
It's not the legal issues of hurting it by the key of conservation.
If there were no issues who enjoyed chameleons would have one or two or three under observation in a tank or enclosure.
And apparently if you know so much about them and couldn't see it was a male then i am not sure. :smt018

If you ask for help then receive it with a pinch of salt and apparently you cant handle that so go dig somewhere else.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby stretch » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm

I'm with Fooble on this one, you asked questions which he tried to help you with, if you don't want advice then don't ask for it.

ps. Good luck with the book
stretch
SA Reptiles Member

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 pm

camper wrote:does anyone know from the eastern cape if these species are declining or thriving? or the current stats? or if there are any breeding programs in place? etc.

thankyou for taking time to read this.

this was my question, i didnt ask for any advice. and by writing a book i meant as a figure of speech,not literally . and yes you do have a lot to say about everyones posts and maybe you have years more experience.but im just a noob who just wanted to write something, becus i felt good for helping one of these amazing creatures make it through their first years. i have had leo's for 3 years now.. :smt019
and you just made me feel down now. :smt021 lol... anyway just be nice okay
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Fooble wrote:B.caffrum (also called the Pondo Dwarf) is pretty limited to the vicinity Port St Johns coastline from my understanding.
Most Bradypodium are fairly "rare" or threatened due to the habitat ect.

Leopard geckos have no similarities to Bradypodium.
I didn't question your abilities as much your knowledge.
If you are afraid to learn then i guess this site isn't going to help you much.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 pm

well you have a certain way of educating . :smt012 .
do you have more reptiles then friends?
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby stretch » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Camper I think you need to grow up!
stretch
SA Reptiles Member

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 10:05 pm

get a girlfriend!
this place is full of people who compete with who knows best and a " i know everything attitude" thers obv no room for inexperienced ppl here.
we all started somewhere.
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 pm

You asked for advise and you got a fair answer. If you don't care about the laws and legislations then don't ask in the first place. We all have a passion for this hobby and illegal stuff are not really tolerated. Can the moderators please lock this thread as this childish behavior is uncalled for.
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 10:10 pm

yes and please remove me as a member.. cry babies
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby camper » Wed May 27, 2009 10:10 pm

there are worse things happening in this world.
camper
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Indigenous chameleons