captive flap neck chameleon's

Re: captive flap neck chameleon's

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:07 pm

These chameleons are protected in all the provinces including KZN if I have it correctly. The chances that anything will happen to these people is very slight. I have never heard of a single prosecution in one off cases like this.

We can try to win some but we will have many others fall through the cracks. Nature Conservation should be educating media like Gumtree and Junk mail. I am pretty sure if I advertise nuclear material or human parts they will block those ads. Why not have some quality control? If they can take down Pirate bay for allowing illegal downloads to take place via their website then surely what is stopping the authorities from doing the same in this case. The principle is exactly the same.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby AinslieZA » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 am

Bushviper wrote:These chameleons are protected in all the provinces including KZN if I have it correctly. The chances that anything will happen to these people is very slight. I have never heard of a single prosecution in one off cases like this.

You are right Bushviper, they are protected in all provinces (i confirmed it with SANBI).
I also came across an interesting section while researching this, it says that you will get fined anything from R4000 and up for every indigenous and endangered animal you have depending on species and transgression. So i don't think people are taking this too seriously.

It is sad that, like you said, many of these cases go unnoticed but we cannot just sit in and hope that nature conservation does something about this.
We also have some collective power to educate the media, at least online.
"My Girlfriend left me because of my obsession with Linkin Park. But in the end, it doesn't even matter." :)

Veiled Chameleon - 1.1
AinslieZA
SA Reptiles Member

hi all

Postby Smartie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Ive bought a new wooden cage for my chameleon and she keeps on coming towards the glass, and when i open it she climbs on, the cage does smell alittle like wood, i had to drill some holes for ventilation, can anyone tell me why she does this...
Smartie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 am

Chameleons do not like wooden cages. They prefer breeze type cages made of mesh. Read through the chameleon posts to see pictures of the right cages.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous chameleons