chameleon permits

chameleon permits

Postby juss » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:03 pm

hi can any one tel me how to get a permit for flapneck's
im very keen on them and i if i can get one i would like to get it legally!!!!
thanks
juss
juss
SA Reptiles Member

Re: chameleon permits

Postby Chameleon Company » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Hello

It is a very difficult and lengthy process to get this permit.

You will need to acquire someone captively breeding this species (which i know nobody doing) because will harvesting is against the law.

Which province do you live in?

For more info on this subject, read my article in the Ultimate Exotics Magazine September/October edition, entitled "chameleons: legal issues around exotic and indigenous"

I would recommend you just buy captive bred exotic species.
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby juss » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:31 am

HI
Thanks for the repy!!!!!
I reside in pretoria and thanks for the info on the magazine il go
do some research.I hope there is a flap neck breeder in the erea?????

Thanks
juss
juss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby juss » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 am

sorry REPLY........REPLY.....
juss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:01 am

Juss there is no registered breeder of Flap neck Chameleons in Gauteng. Rather just buy an exotic chameleon.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Bushviper wrote:Juss there is no registered breeder of Flap neck Chameleons in Gauteng. Rather just buy an exotic chameleon.

This is the best option!
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sydney » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi, I need help urgently!
Kidz came home with 3 chameleons and we obtained the necessary equipment and feeding information too care for them. We now have had these 3 chameleons for more than a year and in this week noticed that one is getting rather 'big'!! A visit to the Vet confirmed that we now have an expecting mother chameleon. They are flap-neck chameleons and we don't know how to breed with them.
In addition, arriving on this site, we learn that we require permits to keep them! Is this true, and what do we do now??!!
Pse advise urgently as we would like to do the right thing.
Sydney, PTA
Sydney
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Sydney

I'm obligated to mention what you already know; that one cannot collect reptiles in the wild in most provinces without permits.

Okay, having gotten that out of the way, of course there's no telling kids. If they find something, you better bet it's coming home.

Seeing as you've had these chams for so long, I do not suggest releasing them or their offspring, which is probably a bit tricky for you as who wants 50 little babies they cant sell or give away? The reason for this is that in captivity they can pick up certain diseases which can lead to the damage of the local population.

I'm not the right guy to advise you regarding the incubation as I am not experienced in this species, but I suggest you separate the chams to prevent them from breeding again.

We have some guys very experienced in chams so if you're just a bit patient, you'll get a more technical response.

Cheers
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sydney » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 am

Thanx Wesley, I'll wait!
Sydney
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Shame no one has replied to you, I would have replied sooner but I do not frequent this forum anymore.

You will need a laying bin in her cage, I use no smaller than 30cm long by 20cm deep and 15cm long. The laying bin can be sand pit sand/beach texture sand, top soil, or you can mix the 2 together and also add water. The sand must be damp, not dripping wet and compacted enough for her to dig a tunnel without it collapsing.

You place that in her cage and when she needs to lay she will dig a hole in there and lay them then cover them up (you then remove the eggs and place them in the incubator)

Also she must be in her cage as Westley said, and EACH chameleon NEEDS their OWN enclosure.
When your girl is about to lay her eggs she will stop eating and start exploring the lower ends of the cage. She can also lay another clutch after this one where some may be fertile from retained sperm from the previous breeding so make sure she has that laying bucket in there at all times just incase. If she does not have the suitable laying site given to her she will go on to die from eggbinding.

PM if you need more advice about what to do with her and how to incubate them aswell as what you plan on doing with the babies.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sydney » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Chamssss,
Thank you for your valuable input. We have implemented your suggestions and would appreciate some more advice on how to incubate them as well as what to do with the babies?
Sydney
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Well Sydney the babies can safely be released within hours of hatching in the same area where the parents were found. They can be released in small groups or singularly in thick bush so that they are not seen as a main course by a lucky predator and all picked off in one go.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sydney » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm

OK thanx Bushviper.
Sydney
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons