chamaeleo dilepis

chamaeleo dilepis

Postby Mehelya » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:42 pm

On the evening of the 26th, I decided to try a new area to see what's floating around there. Didn't find anything in the way of snakes, as the weather was quite cool, windy, and it was going to rain, but I did manage to spot this little chap on a branch. He was fast aasleep when I found him, and I was rather sad that the flash of the camera woke him up, but he was more than willing to stay put for a photo or two. Managed to find him quite easily with a spot-light, and was rather surprised how easy it was to see him. During the day, masters of disguise, and so easy to pick out at night!

He was sitting on a sort of island that a river had carved a route around 3/4 of the surrounding ground. Left him to sleep in peace, and hopefully we will meet again one day in that area.

There were also a ton of frogs calling in the background, but I wasn't going to go wading through muddy water, as there have been crocs confirmed in our area. Sorry Fooble, but will try next time for you! ;)
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: chamaeleo dilepis

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Come on Mehelya crocodiles merely add to the species listings ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby flyjack » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Love that first pic. I'm still looking for a cham, not gonna find one in my room going through notes though :(
flyjack
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:24 am

Fooble, :lol: !!! I would love to get a photo of some in their natural environment, but NOT wrapped around my leg, or arm... :oops: I will go out there again this weekend, and try and get some amphib pics. There was a righteous chorus of them in the background! But herping on my own is rather scary, especially with squatter camps in the area...

flyjack, I also don't get out nearly as much as I would like to and have only been out about 3 or 4 times in the last two months. Weather, and other obligations always get in the way! :( Thankfully the holiday season is almost upon us, and that will leave time to go out a bit more. I'm also looking for a species of Agama in the area that may be an undescribed sub-species of Agama aculeata. Found them a few years ago, but just thought they were normal ground agamas, and after sending the pics to some chaps that are studying them currently, I was told that they don't quite fit the bill, and could be a sub-species! Unfortunately, with so many controlled veld fires in the area over the last two years, I haven't managed to find any so far! :-x

I suppose it's also a good thing that Boomslangs are diurnal... Or this guy would probably have been a midnight snack in no time! Spotted him from about 15m away!
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons