Natal Midland Dwarf Chameleon

Re: Natal Midland Dwarf Chameleon

Postby Saskia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:31 pm

So HOW do I know the difference between the male and female?
The male - orange stripe alongside body
Female - whitish/yellowish stripe alongside body?
Saskia
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Saskia

Male have normaly yellow or orange stripe and the female not. Male is much nicer in colour than female. Female is larger. Normal you see the different if the babies are 3 month old. Fresh born babies I cant see different between male and female. Other chamäleons it is easy, but not by Bradypodion
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Here picture nice male , not so colourfull female.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Bushviper wrote:Oh yes there is a whole list of species for which you require permits including all tortoises, monitors and chameleons and they are not all on TOPS regulations.

Fooble there are numerous members on this forum that get permits for exports all the time.

I know that an export permit is required for any indigenous reptile, when exporting from KZN. If one needs a permit to keep these chameleons in KZN, it makes sense that the sellers who simply ignore one’s requests for export permits, most probably do not keep the animals with the required permits? I am trying to get my head around what I would need to do/where I can go to get some of these, (or other bradypodion for that matter) chameleons legally. :smt017 Any leads on where I can find a "permitted" breeder and/or seller would be most appreciated!
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lulu » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:43 pm

I live in Nottingham Road and some of your photos are NOT of Natal dwarf chameleons. I am going to try and upload some of my photos.
Also, the base of the females tail is wider than the male's, but much the same in size and appearence. That is where the reproductive organs are.
You only find them in a 30 km radius from Balgowan to Rosetta.
tiny chameleon.jpg
100_2370.jpg
tiny chameleon.jpg
big cham.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lulu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BennPieters » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 am

Hallo

My cats caught something that looks like a midlands Dwarf Chameleon Its about the size of my thumb might even be a little smaller, luckily I could save it and it does not look like its got any injuries, It darkend a bit with I think might be due to stress according to some of the posts, I dont want to put it back in the garden just yet, Does any body know how to look after these little critters or where could I let it go for its own safety.

Thanks
BennPieters
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AinslieZA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Benn

Great job with the rescue :)
Unfortunately like you know you cannot keep it, but you can make sure its well our of reach of your cats. However i would advise just observing it for a hour or so to make sure that it does in fact not have any injuries. Mostly something like broken bones, ribs or legs.

But you must release it into the wild as soon as possible as they can die from excessive stress, You can go to a large field/farm or if there's a nature reserve close by (within +-10km) and release it there.
"My Girlfriend left me because of my obsession with Linkin Park. But in the end, it doesn't even matter." :)

Veiled Chameleon - 1.1
AinslieZA
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous chameleons