Question regarding using a feeding bowl

Question regarding using a feeding bowl

Postby Gizmo'smom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am

This might be a stupid question, but here goes: for those of you using a feeding bowl/container of some kind in the enclosure, how do you keep the bugs in there? I mainly use crickets and whatever I can catch cuz he hates mealworms. I've tried using a container to have live bugs available for him when he wants it. Next day, however, the whole house is crawling with crickets which is both gross expensive :-D. So how do you do it? What do you use as a container? As I've said, it might be a really obvious answer but for some reason I just can't get my head around it lol! Thanks for any help, as well as for taking the time to read!
Gizmo'smom
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Question regarding using a feeding bowl

Postby Primogen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:30 am

Feed in a seperate container, big addis tubs work well.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 am

Get a tub, drill quite a few really small breathing holes (so none can get out) and pop the lid on. This is just me making something up, not really sure, hope it helps. :)
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gizmo'smom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Ok... So then you place the cham in the other container and he eats there? Is that what you mean, Primogen? If so, how do you do that if your cham REALLY doesn't like to be handled? He eats off of tweezers (spelling?! Lol), and if I put a bug on a leaf or something and hold the tweezers close to it he'll eat it as well. It doesn't look like he eats if I just put them in a dish and leave..........
Gizmo'smom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Sorry did not know it was a Cham, it also makes it harder if you cant handle him.
Its a shame he wont eat mealworms have you tried canned feeders(dead).
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Do you only feed crickets? Try using a deep bowl with some sort of hide so the crickets can 'hide' .Piece of an egg tray could work. Mine eat roaches, I use a clear container with Vaseline on the inner top rim of the bowl, roaches crawl to the top but once they get to the Vaseline they turn around. Some chams just prefer to eat off the tweezers. I know I got one male who will only eat out of a bowl and I have another cham who refuses to eat from a bowl and only eats from tweezers. Different strokes hey.
http://www.reptilepets.co.za/reptilegarden/rg_main.htm
Gargoyle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gizmo'smom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:24 pm

No I haven't. But I've tried, and felt really bad about it so never did it again, to snip off the hind legs of a cricket and putting it in a bowl but he just leaves it. He also doesn't like the worms but maybe I should try again.... Would solve those babysitting problems when we go away.
Gizmo'smom
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons