I would like to start with Chameleons

I would like to start with Chameleons

Postby anthonyhugo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi guys, I live in Joburg, as the topic indicates would like to get one

I know absolutely nothing about keeping them, do they need extensive knowledge/maintenance to keep happy?

Which is the most hardiest species (for a beginner)?

And where can I get one?

Many thanks!!!

Cheers
Ant
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: I would like to start with Chameleons

Postby Lillypod » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Whatever you do do not buy a chameleon from someone next to the road or anyone that sells indigenous chameleons for that matter. Also you'll need a proper chameleon cage and the needed lighting for heat and UV. Someone else can probably give you in depth detail on how to keep them. All I know is they do not do good in glass tanks. Maybe look on some websites or buy a book to help you care for the chameleons.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby anthonyhugo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Lillypod wrote:Whatever you do do not buy a chameleon from someone next to the road or anyone that sells indigenous chameleons for that matter. Also you'll need a proper chameleon cage and the needed lighting for heat and UV. Someone else can probably give you in depth detail on how to keep them. All I know is they do not do good in glass tanks. Maybe look on some websites or buy a book to help you care for the chameleons.

Thanks, I went to Titan Pets in Benoni and they were selling tiny Chameleons (about the size of a R5 coin) for R950, a little more than I can afford right now...
What puts me off is that I apparently have to spray the whole enclosure every couple of hours or something? I work and can only spray mornings and evenings, will that not be sufficient for tiny Chameleons or you guys know of an automated sprayer one could buy for when I'm not at home?
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 pm

As far as I'm aware, all indigenous chameleons are protected. I know one person that supposedly had a Flap-neck on permit but I'm not sure how true that was.

Veiled Chameleons are the most commonly available and you can pick them up from private breeders for around R500-600. They are more prone to MBD, but they do well in captivity as long as you meet their basic, essential needs (like calcium and UV).
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RoCkFoRdGuN » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Anthony

Feels like me a few years ago.
This breeder is in pretoria but he looks after his Chameleons very well.
He even has like a start up kit for guys that just start out light cage the whole deal.
Got both my chameleons from him. My current Chameleon is a female tame tame eats right out of my hand.
I would suggest getting a veiled chameleon very easy to keep feed him or her right with calcium and you wont have any problems.
My Chameleon stays outside in the sun everyday.
I started wih a small cage and then when she was 6months old i put her in a cage i built.

Call this guy u wont go wrong Sparo : 082 468 9620
RoCkFoRdGuN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Go search all you can on keeping chameleons. The forum is full of information.

If you keep them in big enough cages (especially outdoors) you can spray them once or twice a day and they will be fine. Save up your money and buy the cages and accessories first and the chameleon second.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby LizardLover » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Something not everyone knows when getting into reptile keeping for the first time, is that you will most probably spend 3 times the price of the reptile on accessories, heating, cages, lighting etc. Rather save up, buy everything you need for it, and then buy the chameleon- like Bushviper said- that you have the necessary stuff for, like UV lighting, heating(heat-pads, basking lamps, heat emitters and heat cables), thermostats, outdoor and indoor cage, substrate, plants (live or fake, your choice), hides(not really necessary for chameleons), food (roaches, pinkies and other feeder insects), get a vet near you that can assist if your reptile has diseases, spray bottle, F10 disinfective-not a real word, but surely you would be able to figure out what it means-(buy from the local vet or large pet-shops that stock it) and the most important of all, a lock for the cage. If I missed something, I apologize, just comment it below, please.

I would rather go the route of exotic chameleon than an indigenous one, then you would not need a permit. There are two-top species in the market at the moment, veiled chameleons and panther chameleons.

Keep in mind that they do not get to live very long. Some species live 4-6 years other a few years more.

I know absolutely nothing about keeping them, do they need extensive knowledge/maintenance to keep happy?
All reptiles need to be researched for hours, maybe even days, before bought and kept as a pet or to breed it. So to answer your question, yes.

Hardest in what way? Keeping, feeding, breeding? If I may ask, why would you want to get the hardest species first?

And where can I get one?
RoCkFoRdGuN has gave you a good breeder of chameleons, but if you are not saisfied by his prices, I'd suggest you wait until the expo-that is held by Arno Naude- and getting one for a lower price there.

One last thing, never keep two different species in one cage, never. Just don't
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Hardest in what way? Keeping, feeding, breeding? If I may ask, why would you want to get the hardest species first?

Humble apologies, I read it wrong.

Chameleons are not the easiest of reptiles to keep. My choice for a chameleon is panthers, they're a nice species, available in my province, I know a breeder and they're appeal is beaut.iful
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 pm

LizardLover wrote:My choice for a chameleon is panthers, they're a nice species, available in my province, I know a breeder and they're appeal is beaut.iful

Aaaand they also happen to be out of his price range, haha. Another positive about them as that they aren't as prone to MBD as Veiled Chameleons.

You can easily find people selling "budget chameleon cages" that aren't too expensive. Then all you need is a UV light, a basking lamp, a live plant, calcium (with D3) and bark / coco husk as a substrate. If you buy everything from online websites or private sellers you'll pay more than you would pay significantly less than in a pet shop.

P.S I forgot to mention in my first comment that they don't need to be sprayed that often. I used to spray mine every second day.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby anthonyhugo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 am

You guys are the best many thanks for the info, I'll contact the names listed above and do proper research

Why I want to hardiest is because I hate killing animals and don't want to be responsible for not looking after it properly

PS. I'd like to meet up with some of you to meet your Chameleons & see how you look after them, don't this forum have these get together's?

Cheers
Ant
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Juan27 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi Ant,

I'm also new to Chameleon keeping.
1st off, I bought David Haggett's book, "Exotic chameleons in South Africa". That gave me some insight and knowledge, as well as a good reference book about health issues etc.
Then I bought my complete setup from Sparo as mentioned above. His Chams are very well looked after, and the info and accessories you get from him are top notch.
I spray my cage twice a day, and my chameleon has never looked dehydrated.
Here is my setup bought from Sparo:http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=32175
www.consoleracing.co.za
Juan27
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons