Exporting Chameleons?

Exporting Chameleons?

Postby Chameleons » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:47 am

Hi,
After many years enjoying studying and breeding chameleons in SA, I am now living in Malaysia. Like some other addictions, the chameleon bug never leaves you, so I have started successfully breeding Veiled chameleons here. Recently I was discussing with a friend the wide range of species available at the Hamm show in Germany, including various Bradypodions. In Malaysia the availability of anything is abysmal.

My friend asked if it was possible to export indigenous species from SA. My understanding from when I was in SA was that it was not, but he has been told that recent legislation makes it possible to legally export chameleons out of KZN.

Could someone confirm whether this is true or not, as I would love to get some captive-bred Bradypodions. But only if it is legal. :D

Thanks
David
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Exporting Chameleons?

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:06 pm

If I'm correct the recent legislation will make it illegal, but I don't think it has been passed yet.
As per the current legislation, it would be legal only for species occurring in KwaZulu-Natal and that are not protected. Unless the specimens from a species that occurs elsewhere are already on permit.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Exporting Chameleons?

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Some have been exported from KZN as captive bred but I somehow do not believe that. Either way it may be possible as many are being exported to the US. I will look to find out who the person is.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons