Cottonmouth breeding pair

Cottonmouth breeding pair

Postby Leon_Kun » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 am

Hey guys, I`m considering of getting a breeding pair of cottonmouth`s.
And I tried to google for information, but google didn`t produce a lot of good results.
And I also searched SA Reptiles for information.

The only thing that I could see was that they give "live" birth to 6 - 9 babies at a time, and generally start breeding during April\May.
And that the Temp should be about 80(26+- degree Celsius during day time, and 18 degrees Celsius during night time)
Humidity must be between 60% and 70%
And some say they aren’t overly aggressive towards people unless backed into a corner, and other say that they are some of the most aggressive species.
And substrate to be used is mulch.

I would just like to find out from some people that have kept them before, and to check that the information that I got is correct.
1.2.0 Python molurus bivittatus
0.0.1 Epicrates Cenchria Maurus
2.4.0 B. c. constrictor
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Python Regius
1.1.0 Python reticulatus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
0.0.1 Varanus exanthematicus
Just for the love of reptiles.
Leon_Kun
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cottonmouth breeding pair

Postby MISA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:01 am

I kept some a good few years ago, what you have listed appears to correct from what I remember when I had mine, the moisture would probably be higher if you include a water feature in your enclosure, coming from swamp like areas I don't think it would be a cause for concern.

I had a two section enclosure half substrate, half water (a small fish tank with pumps and aeration) my humidity was around 75 to 80% Temps on the hot side sat at about 26 through to 29 depending on depth of substrate, as my setup was stepped to provide overhangs for hides. I used a combination of bark chips and potting soil, with pieces of slate to create caverns.

These critters are "rubbish bins" and eat most anything living or still, fingers will and can be included so beware, you DO NOT want to be tagged by one of these chaps.. :smt018

Their moods vary from animal to animal, do not be lulled into a false sense of security ever!

Good luck!
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mammon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03 pm

My pair mated in september as the weather started warming up and gave birth to 10 babies in january.
Humidity was never regulated but XL water bowl provided
Sub adult pair available so e-mail me if interested athenss@telkomsa.net
www.the-spider-shop.com
mammon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bob H » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 am

Each cottonmouth is an individual. Some are very laid back eating machines that you have to keep reminding yourself that they are venomous. Others can be so hyper that you have to have their cage covered to prevent them from litterally breaking every bone in their heads. I have 4 individuals, two are psycho all the time and have their cage fronts covered with newspaper. Out of the other two one is only psycho occassionally but the last one i mostly laid back.
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:59 am

I have seen people free handling cotton mouths on more than one occasion. I have also seen one bite the roof of a container and spray venom about 60 cm through the air. Do not trust them!

They are very easy to keep and just make sure their water is always super clean. If you do not want to drink out of their water bowl then they dont either. Make a deep cage so that they are not up against the glass all the time and they settle in well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to North American pitvipers (Agkistrodon sp.)