Some questions on mini snake racks

Some questions on mini snake racks

Postby Mr Venom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Hay everyone well some of you know that next year I am going to get two juvenile Kenyan sand boas, and maybe a couple of juvenile cornsnakes. So I have a couple of questions regarding mini snake racks. I want to build one not purchase one so my questions are: What type of wood to use? What sizes should the wood be? Is heating cable suitable for warming up the tubs for the sand boas? If so what wattage? And what size tubs should I use? Thank's.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some questions on mini snake racks

Postby Fooble » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Racks can be made from anything you like.
Personally i use melamine.
Sizes depend on what tubs you plan to use and how many.
Cable depends on tub size and depth.

Key points to take.
Find your tubs first and go from there.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 pm

KSB do not really like to be warmed from below.

In nature, when it get's too hot, Sand boas bury themselves to get access to cooler soils. If you use a heat pad of cable under your cage, it gets hotter as they bury themselves and that's not good.

Corns do a lot better in racks than KSBs.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mr Venom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:48 pm

@westley, oh ok uhm, then how would I heat up the tubs for the Ksb's?@fooble ok then I'll go and get the tubs first thanks.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Bushviper wrote:Sand boas do not do well with heating pads under the sand. Use a spot light from the top to heat the cage. When it gets too hot they burrow down. Now if it gets too hot they burrow down and it becomes hotter.

Bushviper wrote:Yeah the heating pad should not be under her tank. Place it against the side if you want to or get a basking light. Connected to a thermostat they pose no danger.

Sand boas burrow to get away from heat and then end up getting hotter.

hammies wrote:The experts say you must provide heat from the top, but the heat from the bottom is a lot easier and it works for me.

constrictor, wrote:i heat all of mine from the bottom, with a basking light as well which they never use.

QtCreatCha wrote:Heat from above is best as they burrow into the sand/ground to get away from the heat so a heating pad underneath is not advisable.

10gbooj wrote: I have noted that a heat mat under about one third of the base of the tank is fine. She doesn't seem to mind as she still burrows nicely and eats better then when heat was provided from the side of the tank. I understand that heat should in theory come from above as the burrowing is an escape from heat but with a nice heat grandiant she seems to be happy and thermo-regulates just fine.

A lot of conflicting information. You will have to try to speak to a breeder to find out more.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mr Venom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Ok no problem westley thank's a lot.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems