rat rack

rat rack

Postby chris w » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi Guys and Gals.
I am thinking about building a rack system for my rats, but i dont know what containers to use, i tried to keep them in containers before but they just seem to chew right through the containers, i have seen concrete mixing tubs used in the U.S but i dont know if we get them here. any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has experience building rat racks any advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Re: rat rack

Postby johan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi Cris. All depending on how many rats you want to house in a container. Where are you sutiated.
johan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris w » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Johan, i guess i would probably be looking at +- 6 rats per container. I am situated in Nelspruit.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ClintonT » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:06 pm

This is what I have down for my rat rack. I have been running this now for about 3 years now. Had no issues with rats chewing through tubs as yet.

Clinton Thomson
Just Ball Pythons
http://justballpythons.wordpress.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

"You were born an original...don't die a copy." - John Mason
ClintonT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris w » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Pretty sure I can get the kind of tubs you have at the bottom there, havnt been able to get smooth tubs like you have on the top. And you say they can't chew through.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr S » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Sorry to interject guys

I recognize the containers but how or where did you get the metal grids for the lids??
The pied piper was a herpetologist!
Mr S
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RJG » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:42 am

Those transparent tubs are available in valencia(by kfc)!the last time I was there I saw some for sale down stairs so maybe they still sell them.best of luck!
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby johan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:23 pm

This is my racking system a bit costly holds 20 butcher bins made food baskets that is on the inside but not all the way to the bottom of the bin and also water bottles with nossels on. Cris 6 rats is a bit much
i personally use 2 - 3 females to a male. There is not a lot of space in a butcher bin espesially if there is babys. Hope that will help you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris w » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Sweet, thanks guys my rack will probably not be made from steel but the big issue was the bins because these little monsters chew through anything and everything but these bins seem to work. Thanks
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 am

Johan & clinton. Those are fantastic.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems