rack heating issue

rack heating issue

Postby chris w » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi guys, I am having an issue heating my snake rack. My snake room does get cold but the rack should still be warmer than what it is. I have the thermostat for the rack set to 30 but the warmest the tubs get is 24 ,what should I do? At the moment I have 20 watt heat cable, would higher wattage heat cable help.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Re: rack heating issue

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

24 Sounds good. Most snakes will not enjoy laying on the warm side this time of year. If you're keeping indigenous you should have it at 13-15.

Why do you want them so hot ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris w » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Got only retics and ball pythons in the rack, and 24 is an absolute maximum it has dipped to 19-20 at night which is a worry for these snakes.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:24 pm

I use an oil fin heater in my snake room through winter just to maintain the background temp in the low 20 `s .The heating cables and heat matts then are able to provide the 28-30 degree hot spots .I don`t think they would be able to maintain 30 degrees if the room temp was say below 10 degrees as is possible in winter.Maybe you are expecting a little too much heat from a weak 20 w cable.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:32 pm

I would use 30 watt heat cable
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Exactly as TonyK said.

Not to sure on the heat output of 20watt heat cable, if your ambient Temperature in the room is to cold then the heating cable will lose heat and not be Efficient heat source to reach the target goal you wont.
Also depends what your racks are made out of.

Depending how your racking system is set up, you can always try box it closed, cover it with a thick blanket, use polystyrene to clad it or the easiest and less fuss, heat your room if it is not to big.
Consider getting yourself one or two panel heaters, they are low on power usage and will get the ambient temperature up enough for the heat cable to work at the right temps you wont.
You can even mount the heating panels behind your racks as I'm sure your heating cables are running at the back of your racks, that will also help.

Here is a link to the Econo heating panels information. http://econo-heat.com/za/products/eheat ... el-heater/
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems