New hatchling rack

New hatchling rack

Postby Gustav » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:39 am

I recently asked Louis(Eyelash) to build me a new hatchling rack for me. After a lot of tub hunting I found kitty litter pans that suited my plans perfectly. And at R24.99 a tub(even less if you buy bulk) it's not going to break the bank either.

Comparison between 11l addis and the new tub

The new 30 tub rack

The thermostat was a RC-110E that I got from Bjorn. Just purchased a cheap project box from an electronics store and viola

And finally some ball pythons and hognoses in the new tubs. Still debating whether or not I'm going to put extra ventilation into the tubs. For now I'm testing everything ans seeing how it goes.

Enchi het Ghost (+-400gr)

Pastel axanthic (+-200gr)

Het Ghost (500gr)

Big normal Hognose (Pushing 450gr)

Red male

Green female

Hope you liked it and here is to a successful breeding season for all :smt023
Look for GVZ exotics on FB and join our page
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New hatchling rack

Postby Foxticity » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 am

Very smart Bud.
It really looks good, especially the white tubs in the white rack creates a fresh look.

Very nice. The snakes also look chuffed.

Cheers
Michael
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Naneek » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 am

Looks great :)
some beauties there too :D
Naneek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm

I would put many holes in the front with a soldering iron just to make sure they have enough ventilation and also so that they can see the difference between day and night. Personal preference.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Danie Burger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:39 pm

If I may ask, where did you get those kitty litter tubs, they are awesome and saves a lot of space.
Danie Burger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 pm

I must agree with Bushviper, those are all good and well but snakes being in total darkness 24/7.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Gustav » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks for the input BV. I have a personal issue with soldering holes in tubs. Unless you make a guide to solder every tub exactly the same it looks untidy. What I was considering was using a hole saw drill bit and making two holes on the front and back of each tub and putting cupboard vents in with a glue gun. The white tubs I actually chose because they are still a bit see through, enough to get an idea if it is light or dark, and because they are a bit sturdier than the clear tubs. So the theory is they should handle multiple cleanings better than the thinner clear tubs that to dull out a bit over time.

@ Danie the tubs I got from Plasticland. I'm sure places like Plastilon or Crazy plastics should have them too.They are SWC kitty litter tubs.You will most likely have to order if you want them all the same colour.
Look for GVZ exotics on FB and join our page
Gustav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Danie Burger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you Gustav.

In my racking system that I use for Ball pythons I left an opening of 5mm for ventilation and I do not have to drill holes.
I did this as I do not have a room where ambient temperature is controlled and by drilling holes the ambient temperature
(temperature on cool side of tub) is to low, but without the holes the ambient, hotspot and humidity levels are perfect and
I have had no problems with this setup.

I also do not like the holes in the tubs.
Danie Burger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:31 pm

If you use a soldering iron it is simple. You take a piece of aluminium and drill holes in that. That way you get the same pattern over and over. When you melt the holes they have a round ridge on them and the snake cannot hurt his nose when rubbing over the holes. If you drill holes they are sharp and the snake can rub his snout to pieces on the holes.

I worry about too much of a build up of humidity and then the roof gets wet. This means the melamine gets wet and then it starts to rot over time. I suppose retics knock over water far more than what ball pythons and hognose do. I notice the boas dont do that much either.

If you look at Freedom breeder racks or Vision racks they all have sections of the "roofing" which is mesh so that there is a good exchange of air. The ones that Rassie makes he has the pattern laser cut in the sections (roof) into which the tubs fit.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Eyelash » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am

Looking good G ! I do think your hoggies will look better here in my rack tho haha...:)
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems