Multimammate Mice breeding

Multimammate Mice breeding

Postby Chucky » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 pm

I have started breeding the above mice recently, i keep 5 females in a breeding box together with one male but i have lost three males already as the females attack the male and bites its bottom jaw and its top of their heads.
Can anyone give advise what to do and what the reason is the females are doing this?
Chucky
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Multimammate Mice breeding

Postby Grimmjow » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi im not familiar with these mice but I breed my own mice and rats for my snakes,Maybe you should try and scale down on the amount of females in a cage.When im breeding Rats and mice i have 2 females and 1 male, I would keep them apart for a while and then put them together for about three weeks then remove the male from the cage and then soon you will have pinkies.What i noticed was when there are a lot of mice in one cage or enclosure they dont seem to mate that often.
Grimmjow
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Multimammate Mice breeding

Postby ewertb » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Their behavior sounds similar to that of hamsters in which case you need to keep males and females separate. For breeding introduce the female into the males cage and not the other way around as females heavily defends their own territory/cage. On the males turf the females fight usually (will still resist some if she's not ready) disappears.
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems