OTHER INCUBATION SUBSTRATES?

OTHER INCUBATION SUBSTRATES?

Postby Herp Heaven » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:02 am

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU CANT BUY VERMICULITE? WHAT WOULD YOU USE TO INCUBATE EGGS?

It is impossible to buy vermiculite here in Ecuador! The people here dont even know the word! And there is no chance of finding moss here in the city, I have been looking for ages! I am going to post a few bags of vermiculite from RSA in a few days, but what do i do in the mean time? I have snapping turtle eggs here and i have them on half-moist toilet paper for this week. Its the only thing i have here unfortunately! I think it might be possible to put them in silica sand that is a bit moist? what do you think? What other substates have other people used in the past, and What could work well for me?

I think that this is an important subject in its own right. And does anyone know of people that incubate eggs without any substrate at all? Im sure it must be possible, especially with turtle eggs.

Thanks!
If only South Africans knew how lucky we are to live with such a variety of Reptiles!
Herp Heaven
SA Reptiles Member

Re: OTHER INCUBATION SUBSTRATES?

Postby warbot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 am

Potting soil.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby rolandslf » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 am

If you use Potting Soil you must make sure that it is organic with no additives, phosphates etc.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:59 pm

You can also use good old sponge rubber. Just take sponge and place the eggs on top and soak the sponge till it is saturated. Place the eggs on top of this and the bit that touch the eggs is enough humidity.

Potting soil which has no manure or chemicals added has also worked well in the past.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Incubators