Uv Lights

Uv Lights

Postby Cornelius » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:01 am

Following the discussions concerning UV lights especially Repti glo 10 i would like to know the following. Is there a contact in South Africa that can be consulted concerning EXO Terra products? I have check the net and i can only find the website with no contact details for south africa. I have 2 x reptiglo 10 globes and that cost me R700, to replace this with out any sort of warranty backing does not seem fair.

Thanks
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Uv Lights

Postby joef_conner » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 am

I agree.

I spoke to a few people a while ago and aparently the rep for exo terra only sells to pet shops. I could be wrong. However even from him the prices are stil very high. I'll keep searching though.
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Cornelius » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Any one else out that can Shed some light? I spoke to 2 petshop owners in Krugersdorp area, and they reckon that the globes have no ill effect on the animals. But i am still worried.
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi,

I contacted the exo terra support team today with regards to the Repti Glo 10.

Please see their response below.

From: Hagen Customer Service [mailto:hagen-service@mailnj.custhelp.com]
Sent: 01 April 2009 02:44 PM
To: Cornelius Viljoen
Subject: Repti glo 10 [Incident: 090401-000014]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 10 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click here.

Subject

Repti glo 10

Discussion Thread

Response (Steve Pond)
04/01/2009 08:44 AM

Dear Cornelius Viloen,

There has been some negative reports around the use of UVB 10.0 bulbs and the fact that these can cause photo- kerato - conjunctivitis, an eye problem in reptiles.

The posphors (the light producing part)used in Exo Terra bulbs have been sourced in Japan and are superior to the phosphors found in other brands. There is no risk to the animal when these are employed and you should rest assured that the Repti Glo 10.0 is perfectly safe for use with desert dwelling animals needing this level of UVB. It should be noted that this bulb should not be used alone for the pets as the light spectrum is not bright enough to prevent the pet from staring at the bulb. It should be used in conjunction with a more natural spectrum such as the Repti-Glo 2.0 to prevent the possibility of the animal staring at the bulb

In addition, it is always advisable to place the source of natural light, or the basking/heat lamp near to the UVB bulb as this will discourage the animal from staring directly into the UVB source. Remember, the higher the UV output of a bulb, the lower the level of natural light, so it is quite easy for the animal to look into a 10% UVB bulb if it is a stand alone light.

Likewise, there should always be somewhere for the animal to go and hide, not only from the light and heat if this becomes too excessive, but also from any percieved predators.

Best Regards,

Steve Pond
Customer Service Manager
Rolf C. Hagen Inc.

Customer (cornelius Viljoen)
04/01/2009 01:02 AM

Good day

I am from South Africa and recently purchased a Repti glo 10 - 26w.
My concern is that on all the reptile forums they say that this light is very bad for reptiles. Please investigate and revert with a answer
Use sareptiles.co.za for refrence

Regards
Corné

Auto-Response

Suggested solutions displayed to consumer

Question Reference #090401-000014

Product Level 1:
Reptile

Category Level 1:
Lighting

Date Created:

Last Updated:
04/01/2009 08:44 AM

Solved

Brand:
Exo Terra

South Africa

Expiry:

Item #:

Lot #:

Mfg. Date:

Date Received:

Product Description:

Problem:

Return Date:

Tracking Number:

Pesticide Report:

Report Date:

Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Cornelius wrote:Any one else out that can Shed some light? I spoke to 2 petshop owners in Krugersdorp area, and they reckon that the globes have no ill effect on the animals. But i am still worried.

Cornelius, Exo only sell to registered pet shop owners, hence the no contact details or addy on their website to eliminate public inquiries! You can always contact me if you looking for Zoo med or Exo UV lights at a much lower cost then the pet shops?
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:27 pm

After alot of debate on this website concerning this subject i went and investigated. I then posted the reply from Exo terra, I really expected more replies concerning the exo terra response.

Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques