What size heat emitter

What size heat emitter

Postby top dog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Hey all got a 1200mm X 600 X 600 cage and i want to change it to a heat emitter from heat pads, what heat emitter would i use, was thinking about a 100watt but not sure if i would need larger or smaller, and they aint cheap so i am trying to avoid the expermenting phase. It will be hooked up to a thermostat to make sure i do not cook any reptiles. Will it be possible to move away from heat pads totally with a heat emitter of the rite size
top dog

Re: What size heat emitter

Postby babyball » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:07 pm

I have a cage thats similar in size... I used a 60 watt that gets my cage up to 30 degrees on the hot side when the outside temp. Is around 22 degrees. Cheers
1.2.0 Ball Python (2x normal, 1x pastel)
1.1.0 Double Het. (Blue/Grey x Albino) Brown House Snakes
babyball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 pm

If it's going to be on a thermostat then it doesn't really matter if it's of a higher wattage than what you need because it'll turn off when it gets to the right temp inside the cage.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Also it'll depend on whether your cage is outside vs inside as to the wattage required and the temps you need to attain. This is of particular concern for the winter months here in Joeys.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby top dog » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm

thanks for the replys, the cage is inside, i like the idea of going for the larger on as there aint that big a price change and then keeping it well regulated with the thermostat.
thanks again
top dog

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques