Light Bulb cages

Light Bulb cages

Postby cornell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 pm

Hello everyone.

I was hoping someone could tell me where in Gauteng I could get the wire cages used to cover light bulbs and protect the occupant of the cage? I have searched everywhere and cannot find these things anywhere!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Gav
cornell
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Light Bulb cages

Postby munnik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Depending on the size of the bulb................... I got one of those wire knife and fork holders from Mr Price Home for R40. The spacing between the wires is okay so that a snake won't enter the "cage". I wouldn't use it for something small like Auroras or the like. It's big enough to take a 100W incandescent bulb and I'm sure it'll take a CHE too.

I am currently using one in a Red Tails cage and the other in a Tai Rat cage.
munnik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 am

Hi Cornell.

What animals do you intend to keep in the enclosure?

And what is the aim of the bulb, heat or light?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornell » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Westley, I am keeping a boa, ball and jungle carpet python (seperately obviously). The problem is that I have recently moved from the Eastern Cape to Gauteng and realise that winters back home are mild compared to up here. The bulbs would be a secondary heat source (when required) with the heat pads being the primary heat source. I wanted to get things prepared in advance so that I dont fall short. What are your thoughts?
cornell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 am

The thing about using a bulb for heat is that it seriously dries out the air, which is not good for most snakes.

The Boa might be okay, but for the Ball and Carpet, it won't be a good idea.

I suggest you rather add another heat pad to each enclosure, possibly vertical against the side if there's not enough floor space.

The risks involved with the bulb is just not worth it:

Fire hazard
Drying the air
Burning your snake

If you have no other choice but to use a bulb, so be it, but make that your last option.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornell » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I will drop the bulb idea. My greatest concern was the drying out, considering that the air up here is so dry as it is.

How else would you increase the ambient temperature of the cage at night? Would attaching a thermostat to the heatpad/s help? At the moment the ambient temps in the cages are about 25/26 degrees C, I am worried that in winter it will drop to below 20. Like I said, in Port Elizabeth it wasn't a problem, but up in the Vaal it's a different ball game altogether.

Thanks again for the advice!
cornell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Well a thermostat can make it cooler, but not warmer.

Try get hold of a higher wattage heat pad and then attach a thermostat.

That would be the ideal solution, but it won't be cheap.

Another question I have is where do you read these temperatures? Some guys read the air temperature which is not an accurate representation of the snake's temperature.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby munnik » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:18 pm

westley wrote:Another question I have is where do you read these temperatures? Some guys read the air temperature which is not an accurate representation of the snake's temperature.

Please don't shoot me down for this one :oops: but where are you meant to measure the warm side temp? If I put a probe lying on top of the carpet covering the pad I get + 35 degrees. With the probe halfway up in the height of the cage (dangling in the air) I get about 25 on the warm side.
munnik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:21 pm

You measure it on the substrate. So that means your warm spot is 35 degrees.

You have to remember that the snake (mostly) lies on the heat mat so that is what temperture it will experience.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornell » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 pm

I have two thermometers per cage. I have the probe dangle about 2 to 3cm above the floor of the cage on either side. I didnt realise that it is best to put the thermometer directly on the substrate (which I will do as soon as I log off).

Could you recommend a good quality make/brand/supplier of thermostats?
cornell
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques