Heating large cages

Heating large cages

Postby top dog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 am

Hello ladies and gents,
I am busy building some large cages for my ever growing retics.
I jut wanted to find out what methods you guys use to heat your large cages, the cages will end being 2.4m long buy 1m wide buy .8m high.
They seem a touch large to use foil heat pads, and was thinking of using a pannel heaters but i just was wonder how well they will handel the moisture levels i need in the cage for the retics.
Thanks in advance
Mark
top dog

Re: Heating large cages

Postby RAGE » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 am

Hey top dog.

I stand under correction here as to wattage. But I use a single 250watt ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer, as well as four of the largest heating pads at the bottom, also controlled by the main thermostat. Two water bowls on each side of the tank, one just off the heating pads and one on the cooler side. I had been experimenting with different ways, but this seemed to be the most sufficient and accurate for me with regards to both the temp ad humidity. The ceramic heat emitter has been running for four years :)

I know of a few guys who use wall panel heaters in there big burms walk in cages. I cant really comment as to how well they work, because every time they shed, they arent 100% and their water bowls are baths. Im also a firm believer of some source of heat form the bottom. (just one of my little weird ways) I feel this aids in digestion. In one instance, the last time we moved the 5m male burm out of his tank to feed he felt nice and warm on top of his back, but started getting cooler down his sides and cold underneath. And this is one from the panel heated room.

Those ceramic heat emitters are amazing as to controlling the ambient temps in the bigger tanks. Good luck.
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:32 am

Panel heater is the way to go, but instead of butting it on the inside mount it on the side or back of the cage, then drill holes on the opposing panel (thus, the wooden/metal panel the heater will be attached to) then the heat will be penetrating the tank and the humidity will be fine as well, and you don't stand the chance of risk fully damaging your animals.

But... make sure there is a proper gap between the tank and the heater.

Hope this helps.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby insaniac » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=20962

Obviously the cage etc. will be bigger, but with the amount of moisture needed, I don't trust these...

My oppinion... good ol' "foil heating pads on the bottom underneath some tiles ( with substrate on top if you're going for the natural look... ) with a heat emitter hanging from above.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

I must be honest I personally am scared of those porcelain heat emitters for one reason, when it is cold they tend to get to close and usually its the face, its not a pretty site!

But alas, since they came out they have brought out the steel cage to cover them so that your animals cannot get to close.

Also, I must admit, insaniac has a good idea with the tiles, I did that with my baby monitors I completely forgot about that :/
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby top dog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks for the replies guys will try it out.
top dog

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm

Always protect the snakes from heat sources. A frame around ceramic heat emitters is a must as are thermostats. If you can keep the room at about 20 degrees then the amount of heat required to lift it that bit more is easy to achieve.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby top dog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

thanks BV will use frames with heat emitters, wish i could keep the room above 20 degrees but both cages will be in my work shop, I have run out of space in my office. they going to need some proper heating for winter. Hints the topic.
top dog

Postby Iggy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 pm

If the panel heaters you are talking about are the ones I am thinking of, they are designed for use in bathrooms, so humidity shouldn't be an issue...
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques