Heat wire extension

Heat wire extension

Postby reptilefeeders » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:48 am

Hi guys

Just a quick question. I am planning on building a rack system using heating wire. I will be needing around 15 meters of heating wire for all the shelves. Now my question is could you connect the heating wire to each other to run from the top of the rack through all the shelves to the bottom? Say using 3 x 4.6 meter and connect them to each other so that there will only be 2 wires going to the thermostat instead of 6?
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Heat wire extension

Postby Rishaad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 am

This is the same question that has been wrecking my brain as well.

Will wait for some expert opinions.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 am

The (white) heating wire is manufactured to get to a certain heat at its given length. If you cut it shorter it will get hotter (dangerous) and if you make it longer by joining it then it will be cooler and maybe too cool.

Rather buy 3 separate heat wires, connect them in series to a main power wire. Your thermostat can be connected to the main wire and control all 3 heat cables.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby groovy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 am

That is correct, I also tried joining them, and they don't get hot enough! In the end I put in 3 separate wires, and I'm happy with the result.. Not too hot or cold.
groovy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 am

Pythonodipsas wrote:The (white) heating wire is manufactured to get to a certain heat at its given length. If you cut it shorter it will get hotter (dangerous) and if you make it longer by joining it then it will be cooler and maybe too cool.

Rather buy 3 separate heat wires, connect them in series to a main power wire. Your thermostat can be connected to the main wire and control all 3 heat cables.

I think you mean, connect them in parallel to the thermostat. Otherwise (as you already correctly stated) they will not get hot enough.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Yes Smeegle I think you are right. I get mixed-up with parallel and series.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby froot » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Think of them as resistors, which they essentially are.
If you connect them in series you are dividing the total voltage between them and hence less power will be dissipated by each one.
If you connect them in parallel the supply voltage is applied to each one and they will all dissipate their rated power.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques