Best place for UV lights

Best place for UV lights

Postby Foxticity » Tue May 14, 2013 9:38 am

My new cages are finished and ready to use. I have all the lights and heaters already installed but I still need to add UV lights.

I prefer to use Exo-terra as I know they do what they must. Problem is that our local petshop sells them at R300 each and I need about 6 of them.

So... Where is the best place to buy UV lights in JHB? I don't want to buy the cheaper brand just to save money but surely there must be a place somewhere with a small mark-up on their light?

Thanks
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Best place for UV lights

Postby gekosin » Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 am

I understand the exo-terra stuff is imported but the prices are a killer, definitely shop around.

I bought a hygrometer last year when I set up our incubator it was about R300 and now it seems like its broken :(
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NewtTZ » Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 am

Foxticity wrote:I prefer to use Exo-terra as I know they do what they must. Problem is that our local petshop sells them at R300 each and I need about 6 of them.

So... Where is the best place to buy UV lights in JHB? I don't want to buy the cheaper brand just to save money but surely there must be a place somewhere with a small mark-up on their light?

Thanks

I stock Exo-Terra and what I don't stock I will order for you.

tim@timsreptiles.co.za
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Foxticity » Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I recently build new cages which are 1500 long 1000 deep and 1200 high.
In each cage I have a pair of lizzards.Each in their own.
* Beardies
* Basilisks
* Australian water dragons

I need to buy UV lights for them but I see that Exo Terra has changed all their lights and now have more powerfull lights.

I do have branches that are close to the UV light.

My 2 questions:

* Which Exo terra must I use for each cage? repti 100, 150 or 200?
* secondly, If I place a high output light in the cage and the lizzards don't require that much UV, Will they move away from the light seeing that the light only penetrates up to 50cm or will they just sit there and burn?

Thanks a mill.

Regards
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NewtTZ » Tue May 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Which Exo terra must I use for each cage? repti 100, 150 or 200?

Answer: The 100 is equal to the old 2.0, the 150 is equal to the old 5.0 and the 200 is equal to the old 10.0. Only the 200 is currently available in SA, all the old UVB bulbs are still available. For your lizards I would use the old 10.0 or the new 200 rating. By the UVB is stronger, I mean the quality of quantity of UVB light is better not the amount of heat.

secondly, If I place a high output light in the cage and the lizards don't require that much UV, Will they move away from the light seeing that the light only penetrates up to 50cm or will they just sit there and burn?

Compact UVB lamps do not give off heat and your lizard cannot overheat if it sits under the lamp. To avoid contact burns prevent the lizard from physical touching the bulb.I have used high output UVB lamps at distances of only 30cm with no harmful effects.

So basically use the old 10.0 UVB or the new 200 UVB
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Be-Art Reptiles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:51 pm

please consider www.be-artreptiles.co.za for your reptile UV lighting needs and outdoor terrarium enclosures.
Be-Art Reptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques