DIY UVB light

DIY UVB light

Postby Rock python » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone has been able to make a UVB light that works as well as one bought from a store? I am going to be acquiring some veiled chameleons at the Durban expo (still looking for some females if you have any for sale :) ) and am trying to think of a way I can slightly cut my costs by making my own UVB lighting. I will be taking the chameleons outside as often as I can so they can enjoy natural sunlight and am really just in need of UVB lighting for cold days when going outside is not an option.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :D
Rock python
SA Reptiles Member

Re: DIY UVB light

Postby Lillypod » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm

I don't think it's possible... Only my opinion tough, but you can't really cut costs on UVB lighting, unless you can buy directly from the supplier.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 pm

You will not be able to produce UVB (280nm-315nm wavelength) in any reliable way, without buying equipment that cost far more than the actual lights on the market.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NewtTZ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm

UVB lights cannot be reproduced at home. They are a specilised product. If you want to have healthy chameleons you need to have a source of UVB light. No use in spending a couple hundred rand on chameleons and skimping on uvb lights.
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques