Best thermostat?

Best thermostat?

Postby boaboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello Folks, :smt006

I am going to be building two new tanks for my GTP pair and was wandering what thermostats you think are the best?
I am looking for one that has a night time and day time temps.
I currently use the an ATC200? and am not 100% happy with it. When it switches from the day time temps to the night time temps or visa versa the bloody alarm goes off every time. At 7am on your only day off this can be quite annoying :smt010 :smt021 !
I have no problem paying R500/R600 as long as the thing works well!

I am also going to need to make the tank really waterproof as I will be doing live plants. In the past I have used a pond sealant that one can paint on but you need to air it out for ages and I am quite impatient.
Any advice there :smt017 ?

Thanks in advance.

James
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Best thermostat?

Postby iiviii » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi James

I can't help to much on the thermostat side, but with regards to the sealant maybe try marine sealant. It's a bit pricey but dries quick, doesn't release chemicals and I'm sure it doesn't have to air out as long.

someone else can please confirm my opinion just to be safe that would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boaboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks Chris,

I will give the marine sealent a go and see what happens.
Will have to wait and see if anyone has any advice on the thermostat, might just have to stick with the tc200.

Kind regards,

James
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:44 pm

I have been using the ATC200 for many years now without complaints. To be honest, I don't even use the night time temps function. I keep the same temperature constantly throughout each 24h cycle. Of course during brumation you just change the temps.

My rationale is that at night although the substrate temps remain unchanged, the air temp still drops so the snake will still get a decent day/night cycle. The key is just the placement of the probe. If your probe is up in the air next to your GTP, of course it will keep the air at 28 degrees of whatever you are using, but if you keep the probe on the substrate, I guarantee your air temps will still drop at night.

I have used this setup for terrestrial colubrids, so I am not 100% sure if would be sufficient for arboreals.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques