Your opinion...

Your opinion...

Postby Tars » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi guys, so I have been using the normal silver/foil heatpads all these years, was wondering how they compare to the black heat blanket/pad, the plastic one you get.

What would your opinion be between the 2, do you find one better than the other, and why?

Is there a certain Wattage that you prefer, maybe one that heats a little better/faster than another.

Sorry for all the questions, I feel it has become time for me to redo my enclosures over the holiday and would like to know what some of you are doing or using that works well for you.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Your opinion...

Postby Jaredr » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Between the 2 I would definitely go with the foil heat pad. The last a lot longer and are a lot more reliable in my eyes. But for heating, I would suggest using ceramic heat emitters.
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
Jaredr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tars » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Jared,

Thanks for your input, I will definitely be using heat emmiters as the main heat source and for a basking spot, the heatpads would just be for some floor heating on the bottom of the enclosure.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BRB » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:57 pm

I have found the flexwatt blankets to give the exact same amount of heat off, the foil pads temperature gradients differ from one to the next. It is important to have the same temps especially in a rack system.
Please join my Facebook page, "Ball Python Obsession" for all the latest news and updates

https://m.facebook.com/Ballpythonobsession?ref=bookmark

1.1 Spiders, 0.4 Pastels, 1.0 Leopard 1.0 Phantom Yellow Belly 0.1 Butter Ghost 1.1 Genetic Stripes, 1.0 Mojave Ghost, 1.0 Spotnose, 1.0 Butter, 1.0 Pinstripe, 0.4 Mojave, 0.1 Albino, 0.3 Het Hypo, 0.1 Het Axanthic, 0.1 Cinnamon, 0.13 Normals, 1.0 Firefly, 0.1 Fire, 0.3 Pastel Spotnose
BRB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 pm

In my experience the plastic lasts much longer than the foil, but I don't really mind, both work just fine for me.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques